oil/raw gas smell... help!

This is a discussion on oil/raw gas smell... help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys .. got a few questions.. im a new subby owner and this is my first turbo car.. I ...

oil/raw gas smell... help!

Hey guys .. got a few questions.. im a new subby owner and this is my first turbo car.. I own a 2002 WRX.. to start off the car barely ran when I first bought it.. engine seemed fine but turbo was non existent.. I got it diagnosed at the dealer and it turned out the up pipe was clogged thus not giving the turbo what it needed.. I got that fixed and it runs like a bat out of hell.. but a week or two ago I noticed a raw gas smell especially during idle and further investigation revealed a possible small leak.. not sure how to describe where I am a newbie to all of this.. but I also noticed small amounts of smoke coming from the scoop usually during a cold morning or after the car has set for a while.. I popped the hood when I got home and small amounts of smoke were coming from the wastegate arm.. is this a seal problem? My car eats oil like it is its job..are these cars hard to get a oil read on? My dipstick is virtually dry after a fresh oil change.. I never can tell where the oil level is at..

The guy before me had a bov that was so ****ty I could almost wiggle it off.. I recently went to a 50/50 recirculation bypass valve.. I just ordered a new uppipe thinking maybe it was the cat .. so my question is when I get my up pipe should I go ahead and replace the seals? My car has 128k miles .. should I try a thicker oil? My boost guage reads 13.8 normal and sometimes spikes to 14.5 ..
    Last edited by Rexxy2Sexxy; 01-08-2012 at 01:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also I noticed these problems after a install of a flowmaster exhaust flange.. I get occasional backfires.. could this have caused too much backpressure and blew a seal this way? If anymore info is necessary let me know.. greatly appreciated!

I Support ClubWRX
    The subaru dealer will fix the most likely fuel smell issue for free if it hasn't been done. Search for cold fuel smell for more info. It is a leak under the intake manifold most likely.

As far as the back pressure, no. Afterfire is likely a rich tune or BOV adjustment. Is it leaking though?

Good chance the oil seals are going on the turbo.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX

Ok thanks ill check with the dealer.. is there anyway to replace the seals or does the whole turbo normally need a replace?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, you can get a kit. Most people just opt for a used one as they are so cheap, but if you have more time to do it right it would be more trustworthy most likely. You may have shaft wear too though.

You can also get it done by a shop and get upgrades like PPC and 19t (19t needs injectors, fuel pump & tune).

Or search NASIOC for a PPC on a used one.