02 Wrx Cylinder Misfires, glowing red turbo, no spark????

This is a discussion on 02 Wrx Cylinder Misfires, glowing red turbo, no spark???? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought this 2002 Wrx from a friend. Has 168,000 on it. When i got it, it would run rough when ...

02 Wrx Cylinder Misfires, glowing red turbo, no spark????

Bought this 2002 Wrx from a friend. Has 168,000 on it. When i got it, it would run rough when cold. First 10 minutes of driving it would hesitate n shut off on me when i came to a stop and in neutral. Throws misfire codes on all cylinders. I changed the spark plugs and 2 coil packs, ran lucas injector cleanor and sea foam thru it. Still had the same symptoms. One morning it just would not wanna start. I got it started and tried keeping it running cuz it wouldnt idle by itself. It finally stayed running by itself but you can tell something was just wrong. Engine was shaking and misfiring BAD. EGT sensor glows red hot. Drove it to a buddys to change the crank position sensor and when i got there noticed the turbo was also glowing red!!! so i tried pulling the crank sensor and it was so corroded that the cylinder part of the sensor stayed in the housing and the rest came with so i took the alternator off and tried getting it out but cracked the housing trying to get it out!! So i tried using quik steel to fix it but now i put a new sensor in and it wont start. No spark. with the housing being cracked and maybe the sensor not being exactly where its suppose to be cause it to not have spark? and how hard is it to replace that housing? I checked the timing belt and everything lines up. Anybody have any clue y its doing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like a frustrating situation, sorry to hear about it.

I think you need to have someone who really knows what's up physically look at and run diagnostics on the car. There are too many issues and to many possible causes to get far on the 'net. Maybe if you post all of the CELs it would help. It sounds like you have extreme EGT or maybe even an issue with the CAT in the uppipe. Plus the misfire deal. Plus IAC issue. Yes a crank sensor issue can result in no spark.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That sounds like a frustrating situation, sorry to hear about it.

I think you need to have someone who really knows what's up physically look at and run diagnostics on the car. There are too many issues and to many possible causes to get far on the 'net. Maybe if you post all of the CELs it would help. It sounds like you have extreme EGT or maybe even an issue with the CAT in the uppipe. Plus the misfire deal. Plus IAC issue. Yes a crank sensor issue can result in no spark.

Yes it is VERY frustrating. The only codes I have had were the PO301 PO302 PO303 PO304. I have cleaned the IACV also. Had a few friends that know quite a bit about subys troubleshoot with me and they r stumped. The cps housing still holds the sensor there and bolts down and I wouldnt think it would make it not have spark at all...

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S