first oil change on my 2011 wrx any recommendations of oil? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on first oil change on my 2011 wrx any recommendations of oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The other issue is Rotells T6 does not conform to criteria #1 & #3....

I Support ClubWRX
    The other issue is Rotells T6 does not conform to criteria #1 & #3.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The wording is vague though; the numbers apply to the first symbol but not, apparently, the second. I think Rotella T6 is an SM or maybe even SL (which includes and supersedes SM) but I don't think it's energy-conserving. Then again, nothing that's not a 5W-30 or "thinner" is likely to be energy-conserving, yet even a 10W-50 is specifically permitted on the viscosity chart.

I was considering using Delvac1 in my 2002 when it was still under warranty, had this same discussion as a noetic argument with myself, and went for it. I had warranty claims and I'd show up with my binder containing all my dated receipts in chronological order, tell them I also have a box with all the parts removed during maintenance I could bring in (this is true, I keep all old filters etc. in a box...) and they would simply look something between shocked and terrified, and go on to talk about the loaner car I'd be driving while mine was fixed.

Experiences will vary though. Reading the page above, I'd use an API 5W-40 that is SM or better and not worry all that much.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    ok and the rotella t6 is diesel oil, but will work fine is our engines right?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Any oil that is API SM or better and is of the correct viscosity will work in our engines. The question is what oils will work for the warranty as worded. I believe Rotella T6 meets the warranty spec as I see it in the pages reproduced above this post, but my beliefs are irrelevant. It's what SOA believe that matters.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My car consumed mobil1 synthetic. I didn't know it was a crap oil until after I did my first oil change. I switched to t6 because of all of the praise I had seen. It seems to run great and it hasn't eaten any.

My gas mileage has decreased significantly however I attribute that more to the fact that its so cold out.

Also, I always, always!, allow my car to idle until its warm before even touching the gas pedal. The other day it was so cold, 19f, and I had the heat blasting... it took forever to get up to temp.

I say this because I feel as though when using a thicker oil, especially in the winter, its a good idea to let your car warm up. I know its likely that I am among the paranoid individuals out there but id rather be safer than the guy who turns his car on and immediately puts it in drive because he knows that driving it will warm it up faster and hr cares more about his hands being cold than the longevity of his vehicle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gnobes View Post
    My car consumed mobil1 synthetic. I didn't know it was a crap oil until after I did my first oil change.
    It's not a crap oil, it's a demonstrably great product. So is Rotella though.

I haven't seen a lot of success with it in many applications.

Proper weight on my buddies s2000 and it was consumed after xxxx miles.
    Proper weight on my wrx and it was consumed after xxxx miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't seen a lot of success with it in many applications.

Proper weight on my buddies s2000 and it was consumed after xxxx miles.
    Proper weight on my wrx and it was consumed after xxxx miles.
    That's consumption though, it's not a measure of how good the oil is. Wear metals are a measure of how good the oil is. I'm nitpicking, but if one is interested to look on Bob's site for UOAs, they are generally excellent.

I posted a UOA out of my motor with M1 in it for an interval over 5,500 miles at one point, it was on this site at some stage and still should be in theory. Anyway, it too was excellent.

Now, consumption is a different matter IMO. I found my motor used less of the M1 Diesel/turbo 5W-40 stuff than anything else, followed by the Euro 0W-40. If I had a choice, I would use either of those M1 formulations but as you do point out, I'd have to check the level frequently. The motor itself would do great though from what numbers I've seen, provided the level is correct. I went to Rotella T6 because it's inexpensive, readily available, and does show lower consumption than M1 diesel.

So it's not the oil that's the issue at least in the viscosities I have chosen. It's the use from the motor, and I agree that can get annoying if not alarming.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's consumption though, it's not a measure of how good the oil is. Wear metals are a measure of how good the oil is. I'm nitpicking, but if one is interested to look on Bob's site for UOAs, they are generally excellent.
    whats the link?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    whats the link?
    The general link is
    Oil Analysis Reports - Bob Is The Oil Guy

From there one can chose petrol, diesel, etc. analyses and in the search it's usually useful to specify the oil and motor, e.g. search something like "Castrol 5W-20 Honda V6" etc.

Now, I hope this link works correctly: I did a forum-specific search for "Subaru" in the UOA, gasoline engine oil subforum and got these results with data from all Subarus specified as such and using all oils:

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

EDIT: Rats, the link for the search isn't working. OK, to repeat what I did, go to the "search" function, specify the gas engine UOA forum, and enter your keywords. It's hours and hours of fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    +1 more on Rotella T6.
    Yet another here.

My car consumed mobil1 synthetic. I didn't know it was a crap oil until after I did my first oil change.
    Not crap at all. I used it for 7 years with zero detectable consumption. I switched to T6 when I read more about it here and elsewhere.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.