Fuel Octane Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel Octane Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had my 2010 WRX for about a month now. I've been filling it with premium fuel, or so I ...

Fuel Octane Question

I've had my 2010 WRX for about a month now. I've been filling it with premium fuel, or so I thought! I have the app Gas Buddy on my phone which compares gas prices relative to your location. Shell always had the lowest price, usually by 10 cents. Well I just realized tonight its because its 91 octane fuel and not 93 like the fuel at holiday or other competitors! What an idiot! Anyways, I'm wondering if the difference from 91 to 93 is going to be noticeable and if I'm truly depriving my engine from the 93 octane it needs.

Basically, should I stop filling the tank with 91 and fill with 93 and if not, am I hurting the longevity of my engine? Thanks for your responses ahead of time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm unsure if you "can" use 91 but should use 93. I use 93 bc it's "required" in the 2011s

If 93 is required and you use 91 you could get premature denotation. Not
    Good brother.
    Last edited by SRTSamb; 01-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Maybe it's different in the states or if they changed the requirements in 2010 but my 09 requires 91 not 93.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    how is it possible for the 11's to "require" 93 when many states don't have 93, only 91?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    93 is not required in the US, because the most populated state in the US does not have 93 widely available. 91 is fine.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Got mixed up. My manual says 91. Noting less. I was thinking 87/89 but we have 93 here which is what I use in all the cars
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual should say any commercial octane (in the US, this means 87) is OK for an emergency. Most cars do this, so that the maker doesn't generate a hypothetical situation where the owner is stranded in the desert with no suitable fuel at a local station etc. I've never had to use 87 in my car and would only do so in an emergency. I use 91.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't have 91 where I live ,so its 93 for me.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

mrd
    It would go with 87 but coughing. Not pleasant feeling, like driving volga or moskvich, but would go.

I Support ClubWRX
    I happen to like Volgas.They aren't that bad.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Truth be told I liked the Simca upon which that later Moskvich was based, good memories from that car.

In any case, I use the highest octane available locally in my Impreza, but would not pay for anything higher than 91. Just me.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Moskvich was maybe one of the worst cars ever built according to the Russkis.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The Moskvich was maybe one of the worst cars ever built according to the Russkis.
    As far as build quality is concerned I can't argue. Horrific.

in NJ, wawa (you may or may not know what one of those is, but it is the greatest "quick-e mart" ever) has 92, so thats what I use
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Sunoco is the only gas station here that carries both 91/93 (everyone else is just 93).

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    In any case, I use the highest octane available locally in my Impreza, but would not pay for anything higher than 91. Just me.
    I wouldn't even want to drive with 93 on the stock tune of recent MYs.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast