Fuel Octane Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Fuel Octane Question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So 91 is more then suitable especially with the stock tune which is just dumping fuel into the engine. Thanks ...

So 91 is more then suitable especially with the stock tune which is just dumping fuel into the engine. Thanks for the insight. Maybe fuel up with 93 if I plan on punking some teenagers driving their civics just to give me the extra edge!
    2010 WRB WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by boone1186
    So 91 is more then suitable especially with the stock tune which is just dumping fuel into the engine. Thanks for the insight. Maybe fuel up with 93 if I plan on punking some teenagers driving their civics just to give me the extra edge!
    I would run 93, if available

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

You just have to remember that not all "93" is truly 93. Gas stations sometimes state this because the ethanol in the gas boosts the octane. My tuner for my 325 whp rig recommended that I actually run shell... He told me that he can run a bit more timing without knock with shell gas, since they have some of the best quality fuel.
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

Yeah all u can get up in Maine is 91 as well after they started adding eathnol. I have how ever used c-12 in my saab turbo before and there was a difference for sure!! C-12 is 108 octane.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Road glide View Post
    Yeah all u can get up in Maine is 91 as well after they started adding eathnol. I have how ever used c-12 in my saab turbo before and there was a difference for sure!! C-12 is 108 octane.
    were you tuned for that?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    C-12 contains Pb so it's unsuitable for any vehicle with a catcon (this includes the fastest and most expensive Subarus in the world). IMO it's completely unsuitable for any road car, and most developed nations agree with me.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    C-12 contains Pb so it's unsuitable for any vehicle with a catcon (this includes the fastest and most expensive Subarus in the world). IMO it's completely unsuitable for any road car, and most developed nations agree with me.
    Except a lot of us don't have any cats
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Except a lot of us don't have any cats
    Sure, but running leaded fuel is IMO just not on. It's entirely unnecessary at this point, as there is ample power to be had with unleaded fuels etc. Your call though; just voicing a viewpoint.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Unless you're tuned for a higher minimum octane rating, using anything higher than the recommended (in almost all areas 91 is fine, especially those at higher altitudes) is a complete waste of money. I would recommend using the premium fuel grade at whatever local gas station you prefer, wherever you are. Going out of your way for higher grade fuel (than 91) is pointless, again unless you're specifically tuned for it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

No tune for it we drag race sleds in the winter and had a few gallons left and we won't use it the next year so I just burnt it up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sure, but running leaded fuel is IMO just not on.
    Not to mention lead fuel kills O2 sensors.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12