Burning Smell and fluid leak

This is a discussion on Burning Smell and fluid leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, For the last week I have been smelling a burning smell with no visible smoke. It only occurs ...

Burning Smell and fluid leak

Hello all,

For the last week I have been smelling a burning smell with no visible smoke. It only occurs after the engine is warmed up and I have the heater pulling in air from the outside.

I can't tell if its oil or something else but it coincidentally started to get noticeable after an oil change.

I popped open the hood and noticed fluid at the seam of the hose with the "F" on it (Pic below). The left side of the engine also looked damp.
    To me it looks like it attaches to a compressor (AC) but not sure. There was a small spot on the driveway when I checked the next morning.

Its a 2004 WRX. Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluid leak.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	101270

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Similar behavior with my '04 WRX as well. No fluid loss noted, but definitely having a "hot" smell from under the hood, seeming to be coming from the same component area that you mention. Also noticed yesterday that my boost gauge was showing vacuum most of the time, until the engine gets up to around 4000 rpm. I also found that I could not hear the turbo spooling up as usual.

Sorry to not have any answers for you, but perhaps someone here has some ideas of where to go next...

Brought it into a mechanic and he said oil is leaking and I'll need two oil gaskets replaced. He said it would cost $600 due to it being very labor intensive. I don't know what it entails to get to those gaskets but I'm sure his prices are higher then if I hunted around. Unfortunately being a one car household I need it fixed ASAP so I told him to go ahead with the work. I know he is supposed to be reliable and will only fix what needs fixing. I'm having him do the brake fluid while hes at it too ($90). No way I'm going to have the dealer charge me $550 for the 90k maint. when it is mostly just a brake fluid flush and the rest is just inspections.

My trouble turned out to be a split in the up-pipe. All better now. Hope your issues get sorted out.

Cheers,
    Matt

Glad to hear you found your problem.

My work ended up being $470 (+90 for the break fluid replacement). No more spots on the driveway but I'm still getting wiffs of the smell while idling at stoplights. I'm hoping its just residual oil burning away off the exhaust system (where the mechanic said the oil was leaking onto). I have driven 350+ miles since though so if it keeps up I'll be giving him another call.