SMOG Issues - Recently Replaced O2 Sensor

This is a discussion on SMOG Issues - Recently Replaced O2 Sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 03 Subaru WRX 2.0 ltr, last Wednesday 12.21.11 I replaced the upstream O2 sensor because my check ...

SMOG Issues - Recently Replaced O2 Sensor

I have a 03 Subaru WRX 2.0 ltr, last Wednesday 12.21.11 I replaced the upstream O2 sensor because my check engine light was on. Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor was not working.

I took the car into the subaru dealership today and there are no codes being thrown from any sensors. However, when I took the car to get smogged the diagnosis machine said the Cat, O2 sensor were not "Ready". The mechanic said to drive the car more.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, drive the car more. The sensor needs to read "ready" for you to pass.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have been driving my car every day since last week. Do I need to drive my car for a longer period of time?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know how many cycles are necessary for the sensor to read "ready," sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    It usually takes at least 100 miles of driving to show readiness.. or you can use RomRaider to force readiness at any time.

To reset the AFS Monitor

1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness code for the Air Fuel Sensor (AFS) Monitor.

2.Start the engine and allow it to run until the ECT signal is more than 167F.

3.Accelerate to 50 mph and maintain that steady speed for up to 20 minutes. Release the throttle and decelerate back to idle speed for one minute. Bring the vehicle to a stop, but do not turn off the ignition key.

4.Check the status of the Readiness code for the AFS Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the Monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.

In short, it can be a pain in the a$$...
    Last edited by jd92677; 12-27-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1