What did I break?! :(
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What did I break?! :( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I got a new down-pipe for my 2010 WRX. I installed it with out a hitch and re-tuned the ...

What did I break?! :(

Today I got a new down-pipe for my 2010 WRX. I installed it with out a hitch and re-tuned the car using the Cobb Accessport and used the "Stage 2 + SF93 Octane" MAP.

Total mods so far:

Cobb SF intake (No air box)
    Invidia Turbo back exhaust
    Cobb Re-tune

Today after letting the car warm up and a new tank of gas I get on the highway and go to test out the new parts and at about 5k RPM and 90% throttle I felt a fast/abrupt power loss but no noise. The Check engine light came on and so did the traction control, lastly the cruise control light flashes.

Im going to go pull the code now... brb with the intel. Any ideas? blown diff? axle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The code was PO244 Turbocharger waste gate 'A' solenoid ......hhrmmm?

I Support ClubWRX
    You overboosted
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

how do i fix that? Install a cat in the system?
    Last edited by WRXXXAction; 12-26-2011 at 02:02 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    "Hardware Requirements:
    Stage2 + SF - Otherwise stock vehicle with turboback exhaustwith high-flow catalyst and COBB Tuning SF Cold Air Intake System. The addition of any other hardware may make the vehicle perform poorly. This is NOT a generic cold air intake calibration; this mapping is specifically
    adjusted to the COBB Tuning SF CAI."

Straight from Cobb's mapnotes
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

You didn't break anything. Clear the code/reset the ECU using the AP. Give the car a few drive cycles and get 2 or 3 data logs on a smooth flat road in 3rd gear. Make sure you data log your Injector Duty Cycle in addition to the other parameters.

That code is very common with an intake and tbe when it's cold out. I got the same code after installing the AEM intake and doing a 3rd gear pull the next morning when it was in the 30's. I cleared the ECU, drove it the rest of the week then did a few data logs and everything looked fine but my IDC was at 97% so that is something to keep an eye on. If your maxing out your injectors at wide open throttle near red line the car will run very lean which is obviously not good.

Edit- I just wanted to add that my down pipe is catted.
    Last edited by Eric05mx; 12-26-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Log it and make sure you're not exceeding the target boost for the map you're running. Also, make sure you're running the appropriate map for the intake you have installed (cobb does have a ots map specially for their intake). You can always call cobb and ask them as well.. since you're brave enough to trust your car at wot on thier ots tunes.... might as well solicit that support you paid for when you bought the ap
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I just logged the data with the LWG tune and i reached 19.2 max boost at 6500 RPM. tappering down to 13.5.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXXXAction
    I just logged the data with the LWG tune and i reached 19.2 max boost at 6500 RPM. tappering down to 13.5.
    If I'm reading that correctly, you should not have 19PSI @ 6500

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    You can always call cobb and ask them as well.. since you're brave enough to trust your car at wot on thier ots tunes.... might as well solicit that support you paid for when you bought the ap
    This. However, if you're not following the map notes, they may tell you you're SOL until you are.

UNYSOC

He's using their intake.. they have a map for it.. just have to run the 93 map designed for the intake vs the standard 93 stageII.

I'd still dl ATR and tweak it or take it to a tuner and have it tweaked. Their ots maps are just that.. off the shelf.. or as I commonly refer to them after digging into them " Oh That Sucks " .. They basically take a stock map and tweak it a little bit so the car is reasonably safe from damage with the new goodies.
    Last edited by mangostick; 12-26-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    He's using their intake.. they have a map for it.. just have to run the 93 map designed for the intake vs the standard 93 stageII.
    From this post:
    how do i fix that? Install a cat in the system?
    I'm gathering he's running a catless downpipe.

UNYSOC

Ok guys thanks for all the help you guys rock....im going to heed all ur advice. Im going to get a buddy who is great with metal to install a cat in the dp. Then im going to get a pro tune using my accessport. So my new questions are....what's a good high flow cat? And what's a good tuner near chicago?

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok guys thanks for all the help you guys rock....im going to heed all ur advice. Im going to get a buddy who is great with metal to install a cat in the dp. Then im going to get a pro tune using my accessport. So my new questions are....what's a good high flow cat? And what's a good tuner near chicago?
    Just sell the downpipe you have and buy a catted one.

As for tuning shops:
    P&L Motorsports - Home

UNYSOC

I cant sell the DP. It was a gift. So any advice on a cat would be sick.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.