2011 WRX clutch pedal shakes
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX clutch pedal shakes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2011 WRX with less than 8k miles. Only mods are Subaru short shifter and SPT exhaust. No ...

2011 WRX clutch pedal shakes

I have a 2011 WRX with less than 8k miles. Only mods are Subaru short shifter and SPT exhaust. No check engine light has come on.

Yesterday, I was on a hill going up. Stopped at traffic light. Light goes green, I roll back more than I had expected and over rev (4k - 5k) the engine while clutch is engaging, and begin to smell the horrible smell of burning metal. There was also a cloud of smoke which I initially thought was from the wheels spinning, but it was not from the tires. This morning I wake up and the clutch pedal shakes when I engage into 1st from stop, and shifting 1st to 2nd. I also still smell burning metal.

I don't know much about repairing cars, but I fear that I did damage to my car that I will need to get fixed.

I'm not sure what's wrong.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    May have just put a hot spot on the clutch. One nice thing about the stock organic clutch is that it is fairly forgiving. A hot spot should clear up with normal driving after some time I believe.

May want to get some other opinions on it, but I'd give it some time.

As a note, on some harder clutch materials a hot spot is a bit harder to get, but its permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Sounds like you could have fried a little of the clutch...not sure if it will ever even out, but if you want to blow it, now is the time because many people have had "issues" with clutches before 30k and have had them replaced under warranty before then.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Will I have the shaking clutch pedal for a while? Will the burning smell go away in time as well?

I didn't think clutch problems were covered under warranty.

The smell should go away unless you keep riding your clutch...first manual?

Clutch problems usually aren't, but I know a bunch of people have been getting "courtesy" replacements on the new models as some have gone out relatively early, even by experienced drivers.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I drove a standard Chevy S10 for 7 years. 100,000 miles on that clutch.

Thanks for the help, I will take it to the dealership next chance I get and hope they can fix it under warranty.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.