Misfire on 2004 WRX

This is a discussion on Misfire on 2004 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Working on a 2004 Subaru WRX. Car came to me smoking out the back and his turbo was fried. He ...

Misfire on 2004 WRX

Working on a 2004 Subaru WRX. Car came to me smoking out the back and his turbo was fried. He had driven the car for sometime, but even with the car driving like this no misfire. He even had Autolite plugs in there.I changed out both O2 sensors, plugs (proper NGK's), and catalytic converter. Car ran much better, but then had misfire codes after a couple of days of driving. I changed the fuel filter, grounds, added ground mod, and changed intake hose as there was a hole in it. Cleaned the MAF. Drove car for 4 days, no misfire codes and went to go get it smog checked and light came on right when I pulled into AirCare center. I have switched the coil packs from one cylinder to another and it still misfires on 1 and 3. I am now pulling injectors and will have them cleaned. I have read other posts on misfires and this is stumping me........

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yikes. Seems like that car wasn't well cared-for :-/

Hopefully this might help:
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Is there a chance it might have a lightweight flywheel?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yes I read that link and another couple of things I forgot to mention. There is no noticeable miss at all, the car pulls very good in all driving situations. The car is rebuilt and the dealer will not allow the car into their shop. ANyone is Delta - Surrey, BC, Canada that knows these things or has a proper scanner than just an OBD2 reader?

I had the injectors cleaned< thoroughly cleaned the throttly body including the small rectangular gasket that seperates the coolant. Put it all together and drove it.........Same phantom miss and check engine light is on again.......

Same PO 301 and 303 code.

I Support ClubWRX
    Okay..... So you tried everything listed in the misfire sticky?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Compression was good, didnt perform leakdown test, new plugs and gapped to .028, new fuel filter, cleaned MAF, had injectors cleaned, replaced hose before turbo as there was a tear in it, cleaned grounds and tapped holes for bolting down coils, switched coils around and still 1 and 3 misfiring (although it's a phantom misfire car drives great). I've driven cars where timing belt has been off a tooth and they run horrible so dont see why I would pursue this step. I've had this car sitting at my place for 3 months and like I said cause it's rebuilt no other shop will touch it. I did take it to one shop and they just suggested throwing parts at it.......

No mods except hoses under intercooler and before the turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the valve clearances and clean the face of the cam and crank sensors. Also do a top end cleaning. Smoke test for vacuum leaks.
    Last edited by Donkey; 01-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S