car died while driving down highway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on car died while driving down highway within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 2003 wrx, only mods are boost controller and cold air intake. I just got onto the highway ...

car died while driving down highway

i have a 2003 wrx, only mods are boost controller and cold air intake.

I just got onto the highway doing about 70 and i went to accelerate to get up to speed(75) and i noticed no go when i pushed the gas pedal, i looked at my tach and it was at zero even though i was in 5th gear, i down shifted into 4th maybe seeing if she would start back up and no luck, i pulled over and tried to start her and she didnt. check engine light was on before. she cranks but she dont start, i tried to hook up an obd 2 scanner and it wont connect to the computer, when i turn the key to the on position, every light lights up on the dash but the check engine light, and the fuel pump does not come on either,

im gonna look at my fuel pump to see if anything came undone or is corroded.

Any ideas? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check your MAF sensor, if it's unplugged it won't start.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe you alternator or battery crapped out.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twintshelby View Post
    i have a 2003 wrx, only mods are boost controller and cold air intake.

CAI and MBC with no tune? I'm honestly surprised the engine was still working when it quit. Regardless, if you were coasting, in gear, with a manual transmission and the tach was reading zero then there has to be something seriously wrong (not fuel pump, at least not only). Even with the engine turned off it would still be turning over. I know the speedo reads off of a gear in the transmission.. what does the tach read off of, an engine sensor via the ECU? If it won't connect via OBDII then your ECU might be fried.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    CAI and MBC with no tune? I'm honestly surprised the engine was still working when it quit. Regardless, if you were coasting, in gear, with a manual transmission and the tach was reading zero then there has to be something seriously wrong (not fuel pump, at least not only). Even with the engine turned off it would still be turning over. I know the speedo reads off of a gear in the transmission.. what does the tach read off of, an engine sensor via the ECU? If it won't connect via OBDII then your ECU might be fried.
    I don't have a true CIA just a cone filter and a Grimmspeed shortram intake that replaces the stock plastic piece that goes under the intake to the compressor housing, I've ran the mbc at 16lbs for 2 years now and I've had that piece since march and I live in Colorado.

I'll try and replace the ecu and see if that works. Is it located under tge driver side kick panel?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Passenger side floor board.

My point was, if you screw with either the intake, or the boost controller (let alone both together), a custom tune is REQUIRED for the car to run properly. Without a tune damage will be done to the engine every time the car is driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Maybe you alternator or battery crapped out.
    If you read it correctly, the car cranks and everything works and she cranks BUT she won't start and the check engine light doesn't come on and an obd2 scanner won't connect.

I tried a different ecu and it still acts the same,

Is there some hidden relay or fuse for the ecu/ign that I overlooked???

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Check your MAF sensor, if it's unplugged it won't start.
    not true. It'll just run REALLY rough. When I started my car after I fixed my oil leak, the MAF was unplugged (installed the intake last) and it still started.

twintshelby,

can we get an engine bay picture? Anything new from around the time this happened? Does it "chug" when you try to start it, or no?

If not, my first inclination would be your fuel pump, which is easy to replace and costs $100 for an upgraded one. You can test this by pulling the fuel return hose off of the check valve, and putting it in a bucket. When you try and start the car, the fuel pump will pressurize causing fuel return. If there isn't any fuel coming out of the hose... then it's your fuel pump.
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-22-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

If your tach read zero while you were in gear and moving, there is something wrong in the electrical system - your engine had to have been physically spinning, so something between the engine speed sensor, the ecu and the dash broke.

Just a clue.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    If your tach read zero while you were in gear and moving, there is something wrong in the electrical system - your engine had to have been physically spinning, so something between the engine speed sensor, the ecu and the dash broke.

Just a clue.
    Way to pick up on that... Didn't even occur to me. If the car is cranking over but won't start... that would mean the battery is probably not dead. May very well be the alternator.

twintshelby,

It's super easy to pull our alternator. Might as well pull it, and take it to autozone.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    not true. It'll just run REALLY rough. When I started my car after I fixed my oil leak, the MAF was unplugged (installed the intake last) and it still started.
    Huh, I accidentally left mine unplugged a few maintenance sessions ago, and it didn't start at all, plugged it back in, started back up.

Now I'm getting to wondering....
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

i will get an engine bay pic, she cranks just fine, when i turn the key on the fuel pump does not turn on, and my check engine light will not come on, ive replaced the fuel pump relay on the passenger side kick board and ive replaced the ecu. battery reads 12.5 for volts just because i sat on the highway for a couple of hours waiting for a trailer with the hazard lights on. my maf is plugged in and it is facing the right way.

to make this clear, i was in gear and the tack read ZERO for RPMS, i was going about 70. I had to of lost power to the ecu. either by a wire, fuse or relay. i checked all fuses, i dont know which relays control power to the ecu or ignition. that has to be where my problem is, not a bad alternator. the car would still start with a bad alternator.

when i crank, she does not chug, she sounds normal. the only thing i did different was took her to an automatic car wash with the under carriage spray. other than that, she was running ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Huh, I accidentally left mine unplugged a few maintenance sessions ago, and it didn't start at all, plugged it back in, started back up.

Now I'm getting to wondering....
    An unplugged MAF should force the ECU into a very, very crude speed density implementation, which also causes limp home mode among other things. It's not good to leave your car like this, but it's a good way to diagnose a bad MAF - if your car runs badly, unplug the MAF. If it runs better unplugged, it means the MAF has a problem.

OP: Trace back the fuel pump wiring, and check voltage along the way - try to figure out where the problem is, because that's a major problem (no fuel could cause just about all your issues, or at least will be related to your issues).
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    I still vote that you run to o'reilly's or autozone with your alternator to find out if it's a bad alternator.

How do you know the fuel pump doesn't turn on?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Problem fixed, my o2 sensor wiring harness was melted to the exhaust causing a short in the system. Repaired wiring and now she is good to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast