intermittent loss of power (while using the same gear) in my 2003 WRX

This is a discussion on intermittent loss of power (while using the same gear) in my 2003 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello My 03 WRX has started acting weird. The car is completely stock besides a turboback. problem is that I ...

intermittent loss of power (while using the same gear) in my 2003 WRX

Hello

My 03 WRX has started acting weird. The car is completely stock besides a turboback. problem is that I have an intermittent power loss when the car starts boosting with the accelerator pedal pressed all the way... I can feel the turbo kicking immediately at around 3600rpm with great acceleration, then at 3800rpm the power decreases a bit (still holding the accelerator all the way down), then at 4000rpm kicks strong again... and at 4200 another power loss until 4300rpms when it kicks again and so on... this happens always at full boost and in any gear... 61k miles, no misfires, no cel.

Any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by 93starletgt; 12-18-2011 at 10:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have a boost gauge? Is it oscillating?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Do you have a boost gauge? Is it oscillating?
    No boost gauge unfortunately, but it kinda feels like the boost doesn't keep up steady when it should, when it hits full boost it drops then builds on and off
    Last edited by 93starletgt; 12-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.

A friend just told me it could be that the car is overboosting due to an incorrect wastegate actuator arm adjustment... the previous owner of the car removed the turbo himself to have it rebuilt... maybe the arm's lenght was affected during installation? (just a matter of turning it counterclockwise/clockwise if I am not mistaken)
    Last edited by 93starletgt; 12-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.