timing belt guides early 2002 WRX

This is a discussion on timing belt guides early 2002 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have not personally seen the the insde of the cam covers and was wondering if the early 2002 WRX ...

timing belt guides early 2002 WRX

I have not personally seen the the insde of the cam covers and was wondering if the early 2002 WRX had those Timing belt guides at the cam gears like the newer WRX's?

If this was a update, is it available without changing the heads?

when was this updated?
    Last edited by theblurz; 12-16-2011 at 06:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine had them on the upper and lower left side timing cover, and lower right hand side. Not sure the year of my motor though, but the chassis is an 02, and I'm sure much updating wasn't done on the 2.0's in the 4 years there were used, pertaining to the timing belt that is.

thanks?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by theblurz View Post
    I have not personally seen the the insde of the cam covers and was wondering if the early 2002 WRX had those Timing belt guides at the cam gears like the newer WRX's?

If this was a update, is it available without changing the heads?

when was this updated?
    All USDM WRX's and STI's have the marks on the cam gears. In fact it would be fair to say pretty much all Subarus (OBDI and OBDII) have the marks.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Sorry, I completely read that wrong.

For the 2.0, the top cam and bottom sprockets have two marks, one is a single line, the other is a double. The top cam gears single mark aligns to the 12 o'clock position, there is a line in the timing belt cover, the bottom gears mark aligns at the 3 o'clock position for the drivers side cam, and the 9 o'clock for the passenger side.The best way I found to align the bottom marks is to use a thick feeler guage and stick it in the groove on the timing cover, and turn the cam sprocket until it lines up. The double marks align with each other on the cam gears. I hope this helps you, as my other post was clearly way off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    All USDM WRX's and STI's have the marks on the cam gears. In fact it would be fair to say pretty much all Subarus (OBDI and OBDII) have the marks.
    I'm confused. How did we get to "Marks" I was speaking of the timing belt guide plates.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by theblurz View Post
    I'm confused. How did we get to "Marks" I was speaking of the timing belt guide plates.
    Ah....then I misread. There are 4 total as I recall.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S