Help with off throttle engine noise 2011 wrx

This is a discussion on Help with off throttle engine noise 2011 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2700 miles, faint high pitch ringing in all gears when decelerating or maintaining 4100-4800 rpm. Happens also in neutral. Noise ...

Help with off throttle engine noise 2011 wrx

2700 miles, faint high pitch ringing in all gears when decelerating or maintaining 4100-4800 rpm. Happens also in neutral. Noise is not present when accelerating through that powerband. Sounds kind of like a pulley or belt... Any ideas, first dealer service coming up. Not sure what I should make sure they check. Pisses me off cause I want to go to an ots tune this spring, but I'm holding off till I know the car is ok. Thanks for any input
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it into the dealer.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Take it into the dealer.
    +1. Considering the recent drop in temps, I suspect a belt. Does it go away after driving for a while? Did you try spraying? If not, I bet they will.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Appointment booked. Noise doesn't fade after extended driving. I'm hesitant to spray the belt because its not squeaking or squealing. based on sound I'm thinking Maybe a faulty tensioner or pulley. I'm hoping nothing serious is wrong

I Support ClubWRX
    When its doing it, does the ringing sound "fluttery" or constant?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

pretty much constant, i can hear it very faintly outside the range of 4100-4500, but its audible much more apparently in that rpm range. I do notice that if i transition to light throttle the noise seems to dissapear. I wonder if something is resonating, i know our clutches/flywheels are very noisy for a stock car. my cobalts exedy 6 puck wasnt much louder.

I get that classic my09 deceleration noise when in 2nd below 2000rpm. I can put up with these noises if they are normal, im realistic its not a BMW, and im willing to compromise. I just want to know that everything is working properly as i plan to have it much longer than i had my cobalt.

Took car in, tech was able to reproduce the noise, but claimed that its harmless and somewhat normal, backlash in the transmission, not worth a teardown

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool, good to know. At least you have the peace of mind knowing that they've looked at it.

Greg

Build Thread