Timing belt jumped !!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing belt jumped !!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all! I have a 2002 suby WRX, It has 150k miles and I got my second Check engine light. ...

Timing belt jumped !!!!

Hi all!
    I have a 2002 suby WRX, It has 150k miles and I got my second Check engine light. 304, 303, 302. The shop checked the Plugs, compresion, and even a leakdown, the Fuel pressure, and all is ok. I got a call that they belive the timing belt may be at issue and claim that one bank has jumped a tooth or so.

Is it possible for the car to still drive ok with the cam off by 2 teeth? I find it hard to believe that car would run at all.

The dealer did the timing belt at the specified interval 105k.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh the Suby is bone stock no mods. It's driven by a lady with a light foot. Always serviced at the dealer.

Any thoughts?

Never hurts to pull it apart and check.. but these are zero clearance engines.. likely if you were off by two teeth stuff would be touching and it would be making quite a bit of noise let alone running poorly.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Never hurts to pull it apart and check.. but these are zero clearance engines.. likely if you were off by two teeth stuff would be touching and it would be making quite a bit of noise let alone running poorly.
    That is what I was thinking. Had a toyota that lost the timing belt and I needed a Valve Job.
    I know a quite a bit about motors, but I just cannot do the work my self right now. I have no Garage or tools. My famly are all gearheads and I grew up tinkering with motors. They all live out of the area and are no help other than telephone mechanics. They don't know much about Subys either. It sucks having to rely on some of these shops. I read up last night that you could definatley hurt the valves if the belt is off 3 or more teeth. Has anyone heard of a properly installed belt with 35k Jumped a tooth.
    So do you think this is fishy smelling.
    Last edited by theblurz; 12-13-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Any Suby techs out there have and sugestions other than tearing the engine apart.

Hi,
    Nobody has anything to say?

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately pulling the timing cover will be the only sure way to tell
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    The is a sticky at the top of the page that lists pretty much every scenario for misfires and things to check.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

thanks for the input. I guess what I am really trying to get at is if the timing belt can jump a tooth under normal driving conditions without any parts like the tensioner, idlers, belt, being bad or past their service lifel?

Second could the issue creep up on you as apposed to one day being ok and another being bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by theblurz View Post
    thanks for the input. I guess what I am really trying to get at is if the timing belt can jump a tooth under normal driving conditions without any parts like the tensioner, idlers, belt, being bad or past their service lifel?
    It's a toothed belt designed to exceed seven years or 160,000 km lifespan under normal conditions. Anything is possible but I find it improbable that the belt would jump without a problem having caused it.

Second could the issue creep up on you as apposed to one day being ok and another being bad.
    The problem itself will either happen or it won't, it won't be gradual. Whether the driver notices it is another story though because a single tooth and even a bent valve may not be something very obvious (I even heard a guy say he didn't know about a bent valve he had until the heads were off for major service, for example).

Pull the covers. Rotate the motor by hand until the marks on the cams align.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The only thing that can be done is checking the cam timing, make sure nothing is off.. If the timing is off I suggest having the valves checked before putting the car back together. Id also check the stickies and the sensors..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Ok lets say the timing belt is off a tooth or so. I can do a leak down to see if there are any obvios issues with a valve leaking none evident. If the timing belt is ok the tensioner and related idlers are ok then what. A fluke?

I Support ClubWRX
    Then it was improperly installed or adjusted. OR someone used a cheap aftermarket timing belt and it has stretched either way I'd be redoing the belt

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Then it was improperly installed or adjusted. OR someone used a cheap aftermarket timing belt and it has stretched either way I'd be redoing the belt
    Well from the service records the timing belt job was done at the dealer. The part numbers are subaru. Belt, tensioner, water pump, other related parts there is a long list.
    I wonder if the tensioner has failed.

i had the same exact thing happen to me.. the timing belt that wasput on at a dealership was an aftermarket timing belt and appparently it was 1/8" to long and i jumped timing.... i was told that it has to be a subaru oem belt from the dealership

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast