Need to upgrade clutch already?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need to upgrade clutch already? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, 2011 WRX here. I just got my AP in the mail a few days ago and have a ...

Need to upgrade clutch already?

Hey guys, 2011 WRX here. I just got my AP in the mail a few days ago and have a few other things coming as well. What a big difference the AP makes, especially with 40 degree weather. I'm worried though that even with this my clutch is not handling it well. I only have ~12,000mi on it so it shouldn't be too worn out, but every time I get on the gas hard I can practically hear my clutch crying. With WOT even up to 3rd gear it seems like something just breaks loose (I know it's not the tires, although that happens too now) because the tach doesn't seem to match what the speedo is doing anymore. As soon as I hit max boost, which is right about 4,200, the engine revs up to 6,000 like its not even under load and I lose acceleration for a split second. Then afterward I can smell the nauseating aroma of roasted clutch. This really sucks. If it won't even handle a stage 1 flash it's going to lay down and die with a stage 2 map, DP and CAI...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah unfortunately the symptoms you are describing sounds like the clutch is beginning to slip. Start putting money aside now.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Sounds like clutch time.

You might be able to have the dealer replace it under warranty, but that's kinda hit and miss.

Are you new to driving clutch? Do you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal? Have you done a lot of slipping the clutch off the start? Clutch drops?

That's very low mileage to have to get your clutch replaced. Subaru offers free replacement on clutches and brake pads once under 30k miles, but you need to make sure they don't know you have a tune on there. I've read a few posts/threads where people have had to get their clutches replaced in 2011's but I can't remember why. Subaru covered it under warranty, though some people had to fight the dealer a bit.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Sounds like clutch time.

You might be able to have the dealer replace it under warranty, but that's kinda hit and miss.

Are you new to driving clutch? Do you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal? Have you done a lot of slipping the clutch off the start? Clutch drops?
    Ugh, I suppose I can try to get them to replace it before going out and buying one myself.

To answer your questions: no I'm not new to driving a manual. I do sometimes catch myself leaving my foot on the clutch while driving, especially dealing with DC traffic and shifting constantly. I have tried to avoid slipping it too much. Usually when I go fast it's from a downshift on the highway. No clutch drops.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    I do sometimes catch myself leaving my foot on the clutch while driving, especially dealing with DC traffic and shifting constantly.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is the cause. Clutch replacements can be expensive. As Mr. Jones said remove the tune, and have the dealer look at it.

Update:

The dealer is replacing it under a "goodwill" warranty replacement. They told me at the beginning that they had to look to see if it was abuse or if it was defective, and if it was abuse they wouldn't cover it under warranty. They said it looked like there had been possible minor abuse but it was prematurely worn above all. So I think this is somewhere in the middle, because they said they'd do it as long as I gave them a $100 deductible. Smart move on their part. I was already impressed with Subaru to begin with, and this probably just sealed the deal on what my next car is going to be. With their ridiculous labor charges, it would have pretty expensive otherwise.

I consider myself pretty lucky.

I Support ClubWRX
    good deal and good move

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Score one for the little guy.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    We have a winnnnnerrrr!
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171
    Update:

The dealer is replacing it under a "goodwill" warranty replacement. They told me at the beginning that they had to look to see if it was abuse or if it was defective, and if it was abuse they wouldn't cover it under warranty. They said it looked like there had been possible minor abuse but it was prematurely worn above all. So I think this is somewhere in the middle, because they said they'd do it as long as I gave them a $100 deductible. Smart move on their part. I was already impressed with Subaru to begin with, and this probably just sealed the deal on what my next car is going to be. With their ridiculous labor charges, it would have pretty expensive otherwise.

I consider myself pretty lucky.
    Good deal. You only get one of those, so make sure you've learned your lesson:
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171
    I do sometimes catch myself leaving my foot on the clutch while driving, especially dealing with DC traffic and shifting constantly.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thats scary that you need a clutch and you're only stage 2. But like everyone else said...sounds like a clutch. If you need one, let me know and I can get you a good price on one.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Just got her back from the dealer today. I put the AEM CAI back on along with my brand new Invidia catless DP and flashed a TP Stage 2+AEM map which by the way is noticeably more aggressive than the Cobb Stage 2+AEM map. Holy crap this thing pulls! I'm officially scared all the way through 1st and 2nd gears now. And you guys were totally right about how the OEM clutch should handle Stage 2 no problem. Slippage is gone, and I've learned my lesson. By the way, found out today that Subaru did NOT honor the warranty, but the dealership took care of me anyway. Phew. That's exactly why I pass right by the dealership that's within walking distance of my house and drive 30min to this one instead.

Oh, I put front and rear shifter bushings on too (those add 15hp right?
    Last edited by bbrock171; 12-19-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Um that's BS that Subaru didn't take care of it but the dealership did. The dealer didn't shell out almost a grand out of pocket (their cost) out of goodwill. Subaru NA took care of this.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you got it taken care of and that the dealership took care of you, but I'm with Scott, I don't think there's any dealership anywhere that would willingly shell out a grand to make a customer happy. SOA soaked up the cost somehow.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast