Need to upgrade clutch already? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Need to upgrade clutch already? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Anub1s Glad you got it taken care of and that the dealership took care of you, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Glad you got it taken care of and that the dealership took care of you, but I'm with Scott, I don't think there's any dealership anywhere that would willingly shell out a grand to make a customer happy. SOA soaked up the cost somehow.
    If the dealer did eat the cost of it, they probably had an hourly low level tech install it and put your $100 deductible toward shop supplies and paid the hourly techs lower labor rate with it... Usually if the service department has to eat the cost of a repair, it gets deducted from the service manager's incentive which is VERY difficult to get the go ahead on...

Glad to hear it got taken care of though...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Um that's BS that Subaru didn't take care of it but the dealership did. The dealer didn't shell out almost a grand out of pocket (their cost) out of goodwill. Subaru NA took care of this.
    Glad you got it taken care of and that the dealership took care of you, but I'm with Scott, I don't think there's any dealership anywhere that would willingly shell out a grand to make a customer happy. SOA soaked up the cost somehow.
    You're right, it makes WAY more sense that a dealer would commit both slander AND libel against their own parent company to impress ONE customer who bought ONE car from them...my common sense is vommiting on itself right now. Please excuse the sarcasm.

Believe what you want guys, but the warranty disclaimer I just signed was very clear and specifically says Subaru denied a warranty replacement and that my dealership covered the repair. I'd be happy to scan it for you. Also the service manager explained the process to me about how they send pictures to "Subaru" (I'm guessing SOA?) for review, how "Subaru" denied coverage, and how he made the call to cover it in-house anyway because it was taking them a week to fix my car and I'm a nice guy blah blah etc. May have also helped that I bought my car from them and mentioned I was just about ready to buy another one for the wife.

If SOA did in fact "soak" up the cost somehow they have some real weasely way of doing it, or they just flat out lied.

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    If the dealer did eat the cost of it, they probably had an hourly low level tech install it and put your $100 deductible toward shop supplies and paid the hourly techs lower labor rate with it...
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. It's not like they're "shelling out" almost a grand to get this thing fixed. The OEM replacement clutch is around $300. My deductible covers $100. Then the salary they paid the poor bastard who fixed it couldn't have been almost $800 because A) I doubt it actually took them an entire week of labor to replace one clutch in a professional shop with all the right tools and B) As you said if they're not putting their top mechanics on this thing, which there is no reason to, then whoever did it is getting a low hourly rate. I don't know how long it took them, but I did a clutch job in 5hrs with a friend in my driveway before...so let's say we were both in a shop making $25/hr that still only comes out to $250 for 10 man-hours. Add in the $300 clutch and subtract the $100 deductible...$450. These guys didn't eat "almost a grand."

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. It's not like they're "shelling out" almost a grand to get this thing fixed. The OEM replacement clutch is around $300. My deductible covers $100. Then the salary they paid the poor bastard who fixed it couldn't have been almost $800 because A) I doubt it actually took them an entire week of labor to replace one clutch in a professional shop with all the right tools and B) As you said if they're not putting their top mechanics on this thing, which there is no reason to, then whoever did it is getting a low hourly rate. I don't know how long it took them, but I did a clutch job in 5hrs with a friend in my driveway before...so let's say we were both in a shop making $25/hr that still only comes out to $250 for 10 man-hours. Add in the $300 clutch and subtract the $100 deductible...$450. These guys didn't eat "almost a grand."
    where in NoVa are you located? Which dealership did you go to? I grew up in Ashburn Va, went to BRHS then UofMD

i had a similar situation. I didn't have to pay a deductible though. I have never heard of that. I bought my car with something like 300 miles or 900 miles on it. I forget now. Anyways, 300 miles later at a light i hit the gas and it just rev'd like crazy and was really slow to accelerating.

I took it in and told them, i dont care what kind of car it is. There is no reason a clutch should go that fast. No reason at all. i even admitted to them that i had hard launched it once or twice and It was replaced under warranty. There were signs of abuse but mine had some level of factory fault in it. I forget the whole story, and now that I have rambled this long with what i feel like no addition to this thread i must now apologize to all of you for wasting your time. hahaha.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When you consider what they COULD have charged you for the labor and parts, they did lose out on a grand if not more. It doesn't matter what it end up costing them, it's what they COULD have made on the deal. Last I checked the hourly rate at the dealership here is over $100/hr, I believe $125/hr. A clutch is typically about a 6 hour job, that's $750 in labor alone. Parts at $300 = $1050. I've seen quotes as high as $1300. Again, I'm glad you got it taken care of, and cool that they covered it for you, but you have to understand this is by no means a normal thing for a dealership to do.

You'll have to excuse the rest of us who have been in this game for a while, experienced the bull**** you have to deal with at a dealership for questioning what happened with you. It's by no means normal, anywhere.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

When you consider what they COULD have charged you for the labor and parts, they did lose out on a grand if not more. It doesn't matter what it end up costing them, it's what they COULD have made on the deal. Last I checked the hourly rate at the dealership here is over $100/hr, I believe $125/hr. A clutch is typically about a 6 hour job, that's $750 in labor alone. Parts at $300 = $1050. I've seen quotes as high as $1300. Again, I'm glad you got it taken care of, and cool that they covered it for you, but you have to understand this is by no means a normal thing for a dealership to do.

You'll have to excuse the rest of us who have been in this game for a while, experienced the bull**** you have to deal with at a dealership for questioning what happened with you. It's by no means normal, anywhere.
    Fair enough. I know dealers can do some shady stuff - this isn't my first rodeo. It is my first Subaru though, and I suppose they are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSamb View Post
    where in NoVa are you located? Which dealership did you go to? I grew up in Ashburn Va, went to BRHS then UofMD

i had a similar situation. I didn't have to pay a deductible though. I have never heard of that. I bought my car with something like 300 miles or 900 miles on it. I forget now. Anyways, 300 miles later at a light i hit the gas and it just rev'd like crazy and was really slow to accelerating.

I took it in and told them, i dont care what kind of car it is. There is no reason a clutch should go that fast. No reason at all. i even admitted to them that i had hard launched it once or twice and It was replaced under warranty. There were signs of abuse but mine had some level of factory fault in it. I forget the whole story, and now that I have rambled this long with what i feel like no addition to this thread i must now apologize to all of you for wasting your time. hahaha.
    I'm in Springfield, and I drive all the way to Stohlman in Tyson's Corner. Long story involving a tsunami hitting Japan and disrespectful sale reps in my area...

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it possible that SOA gives the dealer a pot of discretionary funds for situations like this? SOA denies the claim but the dealer can still make the argument that the needed service is out of the ordinary? I know of other non-automotive manufacturers who will do this when the manufacturer denies a warranty service. That's kind of what makes the difference between a warranty service and a goodwill service. Either way, glad the dealer helped in this case.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Is it possible that SOA gives the dealer a pot of discretionary funds for situations like this? SOA denies the claim but the dealer can still make the argument that the needed service is out of the ordinary? I know of other non-automotive manufacturers who will do this when the manufacturer denies a warranty service. That's kind of what makes the difference between a warranty service and a goodwill service. Either way, glad the dealer helped in this case.
    Makes sense to me. And thanks, I'm really glad they took care of it. I didn't want to pay $1000 for a clutch. I would have rather bought my own clutch and done it myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12