A/C compressor removal

This is a discussion on A/C compressor removal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 02 WRX, How do I remove the A/C compressor? I took off the two bolts ot the top ...

A/C compressor removal

I have 02 WRX, How do I remove the A/C compressor? I took off the two bolts ot the top and it is not comming off. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have u removed the lines going to it . And the belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If memory serves me correctly it's more than 2 bolts. I think there's a bolt underneath you can see from the driver's side. I know it's not as simple as taking out those top two bolts. You also need to break the bond with the engine block. That thing will be bonded very well just due to time.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I see 3 bolts under it that are holding a bracket looking from the driver side. One of them looks like it is going to be a major pain to get to it. I will give it a try.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Unless you're replacing the compressor or the entire motor in the car I've never had to remove the A/C compressor. What are you doing this for?

Also, here is a diagram to help you out.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...te/compressor/
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I am trying to replace rusted through fuel rail on that side. I need either the AC compresor off or the intake manifold to get to a small rubber hose and disconnect it. I figured it will be easier to take the AC compressor off.

Yes, the compressor is WAY easier to take off than the intake manifold!

Sounds right that there's a few bolts underneath to remove. One of them was a royal pain to get at. Hopefully you have a good selection of ratchets/extensions/sockets.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Actually, I found a bolt on the intake manifold that is broke, I might have to take it off anyways to try to take that bolt out and replace it. I just bought the car and I keep finding stuff that is wrong with it.

Update, I just took off the intake manifold and thank god I was able to get the broken stud out. I got the fuel rail out also, waiting on a new one now. It should be here tomorrow.The question now is can I re-use the intake manifold gasket and just seal it with RTV? I can not wait 3 days for the parts store to order one.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mirich View Post
    Update, I just took off the intake manifold and thank god I was able to get the broken stud out. I got the fuel rail out also, waiting on a new one now. It should be here tomorrow.The question now is can I re-use the intake manifold gasket and just seal it with RTV? I can not wait 3 days for the parts store to order one.
    I would use a proper gasket
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Never re-use a gasket unless you like taking things apart again to fix what you should have done right the first time.
    Scott