Blown head gasket???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Blown head gasket??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 02 wrx and have had alot of issues with overheating the last couple of months. I have ...

Blown head gasket???

I have a 02 wrx and have had alot of issues with overheating the last couple of months. I have replaced the thermostat twice, flushed and refilled the system multiple times as well.
    Right after I flush and refill the system I will take it out for a drive to see how everything works and it will work great untill the next day when i'll start driving and my temp guage will shoot up after 10 to 15 minutes of light driving. The air from my heater starts to get freezing cold, I also will start to hear the turbo start to spool ALOT louder and have a major loss of power, it will start to jerk a little, but i think that is because the td04 is water cooled and it is not getting any water to cool it? I got out to look at it after this happened the other day and there was a puddle of coolant under the car and a trail 100+ feet behind me. I tried looking to see where it was leaking from but could not pin point a specific location. I looked like it was all coming out from under the drivers side of the radiator by the overflow tank. This has happened 2 or 3 times this month. and i cant ever drive without it overheating.

I would like to get some input on what to do/what it could be/and the best way to go about it. Thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd check and see if your overflow tank is cracked. Have you tried looking it over while it's running to see if you can pinpoint where the coolant is coming from? Have you burped the system after filling it? Not that I really think that's the problem when you have a major leak like this anyway. If the system is leaking this badly, then it's basically burping itself through the place where it's leaking.

I wouldn't be driving the car with this behavior because you very well may be frying your turbo and have to replace that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yea i have tried to look at it while its running and I cant see where its coming from at all. I'm going to pull it into the garage today and see if i can find what is going on. And yes i have burped the system every time i refill the coolant. I am open for any and all suggestions haha anything someone says i will try because I just want my car back! :/

I have other cars that I can drive so I dont drive it at all anymore. But i'm going to take a look at some things today and try and see if I can pinpoint where it is all comin from!

It might sound stupid but try changing the radiator cap. I had this issue and did the same thing as you with my old civic. Change the radiator cap and worked like a charm.
    2004 Pearl Blue WRx

If you have the means do a cooling system pressure test. that should pinpoint any apparent leak locations. This does sound like a head gasket to me. out of the tons I have replaced this is what usually happens intermittent overheating concerns. EX: the car will drive fine for a couple days than bang. overheat. How many miles are on the vehicle? Did you use a Subaru thermostat when you replaced it?

I looked at it last night and I think I might have found the problem! I let a friend put in the thermostat cause he wanted to try to help me out and he put it in backwards! I dont necessarily know if this is the actual problem but i am hoping it is! i'm going to change it out today and burp the system again too!
    Last time i'm ever going to let someone else work on my car...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll bet it is
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yea its still doing the same thing... ha there are 136794 miles on the car and I used a thermostat from a local aftermarket parts store. I am stumped on what to do now.

How's the belt on the water pump? If it is slipping it may not circulate the water enough to keep it cool.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deano23 View Post
    Yea its still doing the same thing... ha there are 136794 miles on the car and I used a thermostat from a local aftermarket parts store. I am stumped on what to do now.
    I would buy a factory thermostat to start and make sure the system has absolutely no air in it. You could borrow or rent a block tester, that would tell you if the head gasket is leaking pretty easily

Quote Originally Posted by Bidaci View Post
    How's the belt on the water pump? If it is slipping it may not circulate the water enough to keep it cool.
    Unlikely the timing belt is slipping, that would cause some real headaches
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Unlikely the timing belt is slipping, that would cause some real headaches
    Timing belt? Is it a gear driven water pump? I thought it would be a belt driven water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidaci View Post
    Timing belt? Is it a gear driven water pump? I thought it would be a belt driven water pump.
    Yep, timing belt driven
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Well I think I have everything pretty much worked out, I burped the system for 2 hours and Its not overheating anymore nor is it leaking. However, when I was driving it to make sure everything was working my hood latch came undone and my hood flew up and broke my windshield while I was going 55+ mph haha on problem after another!

You said you'd done a flush and refill multiple times and you've never properly burped the system?

And now your hood is flying up? What happened to the safety catch?

Me thinks you have bigger problems.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

haha yea i already did all of this but i guess i didnt do it right! and yes i do have bigger problems! I'm not the brightest person... hahah

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.