Another Oil Consumption Thread
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another Oil Consumption Thread within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So you guys say 1 quart between oil changes is normal... My 2004 WRX with 108XXX miles burns about 1 ...

Another Oil Consumption Thread

So you guys say 1 quart between oil changes is normal...

My 2004 WRX with 108XXX miles burns about 1 quart every 1000-1500 miles. Can that pass as "normal" or could something be utterly wrong?

I've been using Shell T6 5W-40

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's not horrible, but a compression check might be in order. I would carefully inspect the entire engine bay for any leaks first. And check the intercooler for oil.

Does the car smoke at all?

That's above average oil consumption, but coming from someone who has lost over a quart every 200 miles in the past, I wouldn't freak out about it quite yet.

The amount of oil you burn or lose, assuming you have not found any leaks, can be decided by your right foot.

Industry standard for oil consumption is 1 qt or less per 1k miles so it would be considered "acceptable", but that's not to say there isn't something wrong. As Mainframe said, some simple tests could give you a better idea as to the health of the engine.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Try using 10w40
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I know of few people that had this "problem", not in a WRX, and used 1 qt of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer and by doing so it nearly eliminated all oil consumption. Please correct me if this theory is wrong because u have not had to do so myself and have only been told this by others and figured I'd try to share some possible knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    That's not horrible, but a compression check might be in order. I would carefully inspect the entire engine bay for any leaks first. And check the intercooler for oil.

Does the car smoke at all?

That's above average oil consumption, but coming from someone who has lost over a quart every 200 miles in the past, I wouldn't freak out about it quite yet.
    No oil leaks have been found, but I'm not so good at looking for it. Um...there's no oil on the concrete and no noticeable oil on the pan or block. A compression check would be a good idea. The funny thing is, when I bought the car from a private dealership 9 months ago, they said they had it serviced by Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by kawiman6565 View Post
    The amount of oil you burn or lose, assuming you have not found any leaks, can be decided by your right foot.
    I sure hope this is true, because I do a lot of spirited driving.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Industry standard for oil consumption is 1 qt or less per 1k miles so it would be considered "acceptable", but that's not to say there isn't something wrong. As Mainframe said, some simple tests could give you a better idea as to the health of the engine.
    Okay so it's a 50/50. My hopes are high.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Try using 10w40
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure what was exactly the next step thicker after 5W-40. Yeah I'm a noob. Weird fact: There were only a few brands that had 5W-40. Only Shell and Quaker.

Quote Originally Posted by kawiman6565 View Post
    I know of few people that had this "problem", not in a WRX, and used 1 qt of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer and by doing so it nearly eliminated all oil consumption. Please correct me if this theory is wrong because u have not had to do so myself and have only been told this by others and figured I'd try to share some possible knowledge
    I'm not so fond of additives. I've used Stop Leak on my previous car and it didn't help. I also heard it could clog thin oil passageways which is something the WRX has a lot of to my understanding. I will give that a google, though, thanks bud.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Boost has a tendency to force oil past the rings, if you drive your car hard a lot of the time that might be the explanation to your oil loss.

I'd also recommend a heavier oil. A 10w-40 would be my choice.

The oil consumption you're experiencing doesn't sound like anything unexpected from a car with that mileage.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Appreciate all the contributions and wealth of knowledge. I have no idea where my motor stands in terms of health, but this kind of puts my mind at ease. I'm still going to get that compression test just to see how things are in that department.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.