Strange Whooshing sound as I spool

This is a discussion on Strange Whooshing sound as I spool within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The regular gas station where I fill up was out of 91 octane fuel tonight so I made the trip ...

Strange Whooshing sound as I spool

The regular gas station where I fill up was out of 91 octane fuel tonight so I made the trip to the Cenex station and added some 93 octane. I figured she deserved some better fuel and wanted to try the performance difference of 93 octane.

She was all warmed up (been driving for about 15-20 minutes). After leaving the gas station I drove back roads doing about 35 mph for about 5 miles. Then I was able to get on it and she performed fine hitting 6k in first gear and 5k in second. I slowed down to make a turn going down another slower road and hit it again. This time 2nd gear after 4k I heard a whooshing sound I never heard it make before. Almost like something was leaking (no audible pinging or knocking). I'm used to a whistling sound (I'm assuming the waste gate) when I hit 4.5k or so RPM's but this is a completely different noise.

It also feels like I'm losing some power. After pushing it some more around where I live the sound now activates at casual speeds even below 3k.

Its a 2011 WRX with less than 2100 miles. I broke it in proper and never have redlined her. Any thoughts?

Is it just fuel related since it just occurred after getting fuel? Or do I have a vacuum leak somewhere? Is it possible the BoV is releasing pressure to soon?

Thanks,

-Ken
    Last edited by Slayth; 11-28-2011 at 06:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Charge piping popped off a bit, almost guaranteed. It's a known problem with the 2011's. You could either take it to Subaru (make them waste their time looking for it), or get in there with a screw driver and do it yourself.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Yeah sounds like a pipe/connection came loose.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well I didn't see anything obvious when I examined my car last night so I dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They called me back 3 hours later saying it was all fixed. It was a clamp loose on a hose under the inner-cooler. Not sure what hose/pipe it was but the sound is gone.

Now however I'm getting some minor exhaust fumes through the venting system. Heat works great, but the fumes are kinda of bothersome. Don't remember ever smelling fumes before through the system. Is this possibly related to what they did today?

I'm kinda of dreading going back. Not to impressed with the service department in my home town. Tonight after looking over my car I could see minor scratch marks in the clear coat of my driver side fender where the technician must have been leaning to service my car
    Last edited by Slayth; 11-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That would be why I suggested doing it yourself, I never trust those damn technicians to take care of my car, so I do and have always done everything needed on my car.

If you're still having problems, back to the dealership you should go. If it didn't do that before you took it to them, and it did after, it's probably safe to assume they did something they shouldn't have.

Do you have any other dealers near you?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    and while your there tell them to fix the scratches and use a fender cover next time
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

The next closest dealer is 80-90 miles away. Getting time off of work to tackle that short trip might be an issue.

I ended up using Meguiars Scratch X2.0 to remove the minor scratches. It seems to have removed all the blemishes. Luckily taking care of the finish of my car I'm adept at just wish I was equally as knowledgeable about the service of it. Your right Garrett I'll bring it up to the service manager about the scratches and insist that if they service my car again to use a fender cover.

I waited 3 years to purchase this car. I've owned it 3 months and don't need a service technician damaging it.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Definitely. No need to be a jerk about it (not saying you will be but some people choose that route) I would just politely point out that last time you noticed some small scratches and you would appreciate if they used a fender cover. If they don't respond well to a polite response then become a jerk lol.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics