About to purchase a 2003 WRX at a VERY LOW price, car is mint... smokes a bit.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on About to purchase a 2003 WRX at a VERY LOW price, car is mint... smokes a bit. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello I am about to purchase a 2003 Impreza 2.0 WRX with about 60K miles. It is priced well below ...

About to purchase a 2003 WRX at a VERY LOW price, car is mint... smokes a bit.

Hello

I am about to purchase a 2003 Impreza 2.0 WRX with about 60K miles. It is priced well below its usual price in the market (lets say about three thousand dollars cheaper). This Impreza is totally standard with no mods whatsoever. The car looks mint inside out, runs very strong. Engine has no knocks or weird noises, and it idles perfect like a kitten.

The problem is that it smokes lightly at idle (blue colored, so, oil) and it worsens under heavier acceleration (in this case smokes kinda blueish whiteish)... even when the engine is warmed up. So, I made it to a near shop that was about to close and made a compression leakdown test... all four cylinders were exactly even at 130 PSI... the owner of the shop said 130 was normal for those "early 2000" WRX engines and that it shouldn't be smoking. He suspects problem would be on the turbo. No further troubleshoot was done because the shop was already closed when finished the test.

Prices on those WRX here in Lima, Peru are going for no less than $13000 (yes they are expensive here). The last price I negotiated with the seller was $10600 which is a pretty good deal for this market (specially because it is a place where labor is incredibly cheap and its worth fixing it)

So what do you guys think the problem would be? please help me out!

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Turbo seals??? Piston rings??? Did you do a leak down test? That would be my guess.

Sure, leakdown test results were 130PSI all of them even (Wich as far as I know that's not bad on those early 2000 Imprezas)... it shouldn't smoke

I Support ClubWRX
    how much smoke? blue black brown

I Support ClubWRX
    good price

Well at idle it smokes very very lightly (blue colored), then at heavy acceleration smokes a fair amount, still blue but a bit lighter, almost white

I Support ClubWRX
    when are you going to bye the car? i would recomend a full check at subaru dealer, might cost you up to 200 i think but at a $10000 + investment it would be worth it

I Support ClubWRX
    i have a 2005 wrx heavaly moded and i have no smoke at all,at 55k

I Support ClubWRX
    sorry just red your hole thread. i think we need some more help from the car guys. not real shure if i would by it even at 10000. the smoke would drive me nutts!

Well... it is almost impossible to find a WRX at that price. There is no time to do further tests than the leakdown that I already did, that car will sell first thing in the morning.

If the problem is the turbo, I will replace it. If the problem is in the engine, then I would re-sell it AS IS and most likely I will make some extra money...

I Support ClubWRX
    that sounds good. i dont think you have a real problem with the car. the compression test is the most reasonable way to test the cylinders, and sounds like the 130psi was good?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsorensen View Post
    that sounds good. i dont think you have a real problem with the car. the compression test is the most reasonable way to test the cylinders, and sounds like the 130psi was good?
    Right?

If the problem is the turbo then I will replace it that's a fairly cheap fix. If the problem is in the engine.. I have two options:

1) re-sell the car AS IS and most likely I will make some extra money
    2) buy a new engine (used-imported from Japan) that costs about $3000 (and then the final price of my cost would be $13600 which is the right price these cars sell for here in Lima anyway)

So I think I'm gonna go for it!
    Last edited by 93starletgt; 11-25-2011 at 08:51 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    if you have some time tonight i would keep throwing around the form. im new to subaru but these guys help t me with my 2005 wrx and im very happy

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Best bet is the turbo if you did a compression test. Turbos are cheap and easy to fix. How mechanical are you? If you can make the fixes yourself it sounds like a good deal but once you factor in labor it may not be. If it were me....I'd walk away. But I live where they are pretty easy to find for well under 10k so its a little different situation
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    this guy garrett knows his stuff! you can trust him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast