About to purchase a 2003 WRX at a VERY LOW price, car is mint... smokes a bit. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

This is a discussion on About to purchase a 2003 WRX at a VERY LOW price, car is mint... smokes a bit. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman Best bet is the turbo if you did a compression test. Turbos are cheap and easy ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Best bet is the turbo if you did a compression test. Turbos are cheap and easy to fix. How mechanical are you? If you can make the fixes yourself it sounds like a good deal but once you factor in labor it may not be. If it were me....I'd walk away. But I live where they are pretty easy to find for well under 10k so its a little different situation
    Exactly. If I bring the turbo to the shop they will charge me around USD$70.00 to replace it hehe. So even though I am pretty handy when it comes to mechanical stuff, I'll rather pay for it since it is that cheap!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,664
    What kind of shop is that?? $70 to swap a turbo is extremely cheap. I think that sounds a bit fishy to me.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

  4. #18
    Registered User Medic_538's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mankato, MN
    Posts
    26
    To break it down a bit more for you, by turbo, he means that the seals on the turbo are going bad and letting oil/coolant escape into the exhaust. The smoke that you are seeing is the excess fluid being burnt off from the heat of the exhaust. This will lead to the turbo failing and a smoke trail that can be seen from space. If you are really interested in purchasing this vehicle, do some searching and if you can find a replacement turbo, anywhere from approx 300 to a couple thousand, you say that labor is cheap, so if you can find a direct replacement then it should be fairly inexpensive to replace the turbo. Depending on your plans for the vehicle, this may be something you were planning on doing anyway just maybe not this soon. Hope everyones information helps you make an informed decision.

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    What kind of shop is that?? $70 to swap a turbo is extremely cheap. I think that sounds a bit fishy to me.
    Hehe Its South America... Peru. The land where the "labor" is not worth a thing! (sadly for mechanics, lucky for car owners)

  6. #20
    Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic_538 View Post
    To break it down a bit more for you, by turbo, he means that the seals on the turbo are going bad and letting oil/coolant escape into the exhaust. The smoke that you are seeing is the excess fluid being burnt off from the heat of the exhaust. This will lead to the turbo failing and a smoke trail that can be seen from space. If you are really interested in purchasing this vehicle, do some searching and if you can find a replacement turbo, anywhere from approx 300 to a couple thousand, you say that labor is cheap, so if you can find a direct replacement then it should be fairly inexpensive to replace the turbo. Depending on your plans for the vehicle, this may be something you were planning on doing anyway just maybe not this soon. Hope everyones information helps you make an informed decision.
    Those numbers on a replacement turbo are way off. You can get a low mileage Td04 for $100 in the states. Hell, I could buy one, ship it to him and take a profit and it would still be under $200.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

  7. #21
    Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,664
    Quote Originally Posted by 93starletgt View Post
    Hehe Its South America... Peru. The land where the "labor" is not worth a thing! (sadly for mechanics, lucky for car owners)
    As long as you trust the mechanic then thats your call.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic_538 View Post
    To break it down a bit more for you, by turbo, he means that the seals on the turbo are going bad and letting oil/coolant escape into the exhaust. The smoke that you are seeing is the excess fluid being burnt off from the heat of the exhaust. This will lead to the turbo failing and a smoke trail that can be seen from space. If you are really interested in purchasing this vehicle, do some searching and if you can find a replacement turbo, anywhere from approx 300 to a couple thousand, you say that labor is cheap, so if you can find a direct replacement then it should be fairly inexpensive to replace the turbo. Depending on your plans for the vehicle, this may be something you were planning on doing anyway just maybe not this soon. Hope everyones information helps you make an informed decision.
    Exactly, or I can get the turbo rebuilt for a pretty low price as well. Good thing is that I can resell the car AS IS if I realize it is not worth fixing it, still I would make some money on top.

  9. #23
    Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,664
    most people asking this question I would say walk away. But your situation and knowledge seems adequate to go for it.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Thank you guys for your help. Hopefully I can buy it and find a not-so-expensive solution. Will keep you posted.

    Just one more question, were the results from the compression test (130 PSI even, all 4) any good? I have been reading in different forums for hours... finding people saying these are low compression engines and that 130PSI is fine as well as others saying is somewhat low. I am confused and don't know who to believe...

  11. #25
    Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,664
    They aren't perfect but not bad. No reason to replace the motor based on them.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Ok guys! Good news for me!

    After buying it, I checked the oil level and car had about double the normal amount of oil!! I checked the oil level before buying it and I didn't notice it had that much of it, I might not have inserted the dipstick all the way... I know how dangerous this is for the engine. I just hope not to have ruined anything since I drove it that way pushing it for a couple days.

    Anyway, today I went to a shop nearby to remove the extra oil, and... NO SMOKE WHATSOEVER through the exhaust!

    The only thing that worries a bit is that the turbo has a kind of minimal oil leak right in between the exhaust pipe (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE). It only leaks when the engine is turned on and worsens depending on my driving. It is pretty annoying because oil gets hot and smells terrible (and also smokes a bit, it escapes through the hood scoop).

    Any suggestions on what to do??


  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 93starletgt View Post
    Ok guys! Good news for me!

    After buying it, I checked the oil level and car had about double the normal amount of oil!! I checked the oil level before buying it and I didn't notice it had that much of it, I might not have inserted the dipstick all the way... I know how dangerous this is for the engine. I just hope not to have ruined anything since I drove it that way pushing it for a couple days.

    Anyway, today I went to a shop nearby to remove the extra oil, and... NO SMOKE WHATSOEVER through the exhaust!

    The only thing that worries a bit is that the turbo has a kind of minimal oil leak right in between the exhaust pipe (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE). It only leaks when the engine is turned on and worsens depending on my driving. It is pretty annoying because oil gets hot and smells terrible (and also smokes a bit, it escapes through the hood scoop).

    Any suggestions on what to do??



    No one? well while I wait for an answer about the oil on top of the turbo I will share some pics of the WRX:


  14. #28
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    550
    Nice car! It's not an 2003 though. MY03 had a different body style.

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Nice car! It's not an 2003 though. MY03 had a different body style.
    YES IT IS an 03... There are other markets than the american one lol

    Here in Lima the market is almost identical to the japanese one... Models, model names (all Acuras are Hondas for example)... Also the years when the model first comes out (usually as soon as the model starts selling in Japan).

  16. #30
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Nice car! It's not an 2003 though. MY03 had a different body style.
    ^^^The USDM MY03 was a bugeye, but EDM and JDM which is more than likely what the South American version is (look at the foglights)...had the Blobeye look.


    OP,
    Either way, that's a pretty sweet find in Lima! Looks clean. Every turbo will have some kind of oil blow by that is normal, but that might be a bit more. That also could have been a result of having too much oil, raising oil pressure past normal. May as well pop out the turbo and inspect it...if you need a new one, replace for cheap.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •