can someone please help diagnose this problem in my 2004 wrx?

This is a discussion on can someone please help diagnose this problem in my 2004 wrx? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so recently i just went over 100,000m in my wrx...its sad. anyways, the other day coming onto the highway i ...

can someone please help diagnose this problem in my 2004 wrx?

so recently i just went over 100,000m in my wrx...its sad. anyways, the other day coming onto the highway i downshifted into 3rd at about 40-45mph and shifted into 4th around 4000rpm's then 5th at maybe the same? im not sure of the rpm's, but i know i was going 70 by the time i was in 5th. well once i was in fifth gear i heard this very quiet almost rattling noise coming from what seemed to be near the transmission. well i kept driving around at different speeds, feathering the gas, etc. just trying different things to see when the noise occurs, and it seems that the noise doesn't occur until i get up to 40mph, then after that it will happen at any speed. also it will only sound when i am in gear and i'm stepping on the gas pedal. if i'm in gear and take my foot off of the gas pedal there is no sound, however if i put the car in neutral while i'm driving the sound is constant.

im not too worried about it just yet, however i do not want this to turn into an even bigger issue further down the road. so if someone could maybe shed some light on the situation and give me an idea of what could be wrong and how potentially serious this could be, that would be greatly appreciated! thanks a lot everyone!

-Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Remotely it is unlikely someone can diagnose this without a bit of guessing at best. From what you have written it could be anything from the throw out bearing to a shaft to debris I suppose. Take the car to a shop for a proper diagnosis.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    did you look to see if you have change in your ashtray? (I'm not going to lie... I've done it)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

under body heat shield rattling.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

haha i wish it was change in the ashtray. but no actually what ever the problem was happened tonight. on my way home from school i was in traffic at about 30mph and that noise got louder, i put it in neutral then it got even louder, so i put it back into gear and then the car sort of skidded and it felt like something dropped and was dragging. i pulled over and there wasn't anything dragging under the car so i thought it might have something to do with the axle or something. then when i tried to drive again the rear tires locked up and wouldnt roll. needless to say i was able to get the car to a near by shop rite and had a buddy come pick me up and he said it could be the rear differential. not too sure of how serious of a fix this is or if me and a buddy can do it but we will see what happens. thanks a lot for everyone's input though. if maybe this little bit more information gave you an idea of what could be the problem, please let me know. but otherwise thanks again gang! knew i could count on your responses

oh wow...yeah that sounds like some kind of a rear differential mess. Disregard heat shield rattling.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Transmission or gear oil would be my next guess since you never lost use of a gear. Although that could have been the initial problem, continuing to drive on it might have exasperated the problem and made worse that just topping off fluids/oil.

Good luck.

I found out today from the mechanic that it is the rear differential, so i have to get that replaced. $2,400 for a new one with warranty, or $1,100 for used. I dont have the money for a new one but idk how i feel about getting a used one. Regardless i dont have much of a choice. I hope im not making a bad situation worse in getting a used one. Other than that i hope everyone else's rear differentials are doing fine, and their rex's are happy campers Take care of them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    I found out today from the mechanic that it is the rear differential, so i have to get that replaced. $2,400 for a new one with warranty, or $1,100 for used. I dont have the money for a new one but idk how i feel about getting a used one. Regardless i dont have much of a choice. I hope im not making a bad situation worse in getting a used one. Other than that i hope everyone else's rear differentials are doing fine, and their rex's are happy campers Take care of them.
    What? $2400??? $1100??? Borrow a car and drive down to Leesville Auto Wreckers in Rahway. It will take you about an hour and fifteen minutes. Buy your differential for $200. Go home, grab a 6 pack and spend 3 hours in your driveway installing it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately you have a 2004. If you had an 06-07, I have a rear diff that I'm selling for 50 bucks.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Seriously jump in ebay, the interwebz, Nasioc, etc...and search for used pieces...it will be fine. No point in spending a **** ton of money if you don't have to. Even if you pick up the part on your own and just pay for labor to install it will cut down a ton of cost.