2011 WRX Engine Noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Engine Noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I've been getting a weird noise lately coming from engine bay. I can only describe it as a ticking ...

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Question 2011 WRX Engine Noise

So, I've been getting a weird noise lately coming from engine bay. I can only describe it as a ticking noise. I thought it was my imagination at first, but now I am pretty sure the car was a lot quieter when I first got it. Additionally, there has been a mild burning smell after shutting down. I checked my oil and it is still at full with the engine warm. There is no smoke that I have seen. I took a short video of the noise here. The car seems to be driving just fine and still pulls... I am a little puzzled as it is not throwing any CELs...

EDIT: My car is Stage 1 AP CA/NV 91 map, synthetic dealer oil, nameless axelback...nothing else.
    Last edited by tacomaboy138; 11-21-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added mod list.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it in, it sounds like a tappet (noises via the internet are not easy to diagnose).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the reply SD_GR. I appreciate the quick response. What would cause the tappet to go awry with only 17k on the odometer?
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I Support ClubWRX
    I honestly don't know that it's a tappet, but that's just what it reminds me of. If it's in fact something in the valve train it could be a manufacturing issue, or an oiling issue, or a problem with valve timing I suppose. If it were me, it'd be dealer time. Hopefully I'm off and it's something ridiculously simple.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Whatever it is ,it doesn't sound right.Like SD said take it to the dealer.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

KHP
    That sounds horrible... Did you start it one morning and it sounded like that or did it progressively get louder? Lets just say that isn't normal. I agree that it sounds like it's coming from valve-train. This is just a guess, but I think that it may have something to do with your AVCS system.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

ack...no bueno. I will be visiting the dealer ASAP. We'll see what happens. I'll report back when I know more. Thanks for all the input.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Ok, sigh of relief. Revisited the car with fresh eyes this AM and found that the rattling was due to a loose oil filler cap. : I guess it had somehow worked its way loose...never happened to me before.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow I'd have never guessed. Great news!

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by tacomaboy138 View Post
    Ok, sigh of relief. Revisited the car with fresh eyes this AM and found that the rattling was due to a loose oil filler cap. : I guess it had somehow worked its way loose...never happened to me before.
    Yeah that would definitely do it. I guess the valve-train is very loud when not in an enclosed in a sealed environment.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    haha,glad it worked out for you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Weird, I'm glad it was something simple and stupid as opposed to something really wrong with the car.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Weird, I'm glad it was something simple and stupid as opposed to something really wrong with the car.
    Thanks man! Agreed, definitely! I appreciate everyone who weighed in though!

Cheers!
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.