Idling in 1st = bad?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Idling in 1st = bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all! My buddy planted this seed in my head and I thought I'd ask "the experts." When you're sitting ...

Idling in 1st = bad?

Hey all!

My buddy planted this seed in my head and I thought I'd ask "the experts."

When you're sitting at an extra long red light, is it bad to idle in 1st gear with the clutch all the way in versus just putting it in neutral and waiting for the green to put it in 1st?
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"
    ** The Blobeye Syndicate ** #442

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subscribed, I've been in arguments about this in the past.

KHP
    It shouldn't be bad for clutch wear since it's fully disengaged with the pedal all the way down. The throwout bearing is the one under stress in that situation. I haven't had a TO bearing go bad yet, as sometimes I have a habit of doing the same. So I would say it isn't too bad.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Just throw it in neutral and wait for the other light to turn yellow. I hate sitting for more then a minute holding the clutch pedal down.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by djclue8713 View Post
    Subscribed, I've been in arguments about this in the past.
    *phew* I'm glad someone else is wondering the same. My buddy felt that even though the clutch is fully depressed, there's still some slight wear going on... I don't feel the same, but I'm no expert either...
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Just throw it in neutral and wait for the other light to turn yellow. I hate sitting for more then a minute holding the clutch pedal down.
    ^^ This one.

I'm all for giving the trow out bearing a break. Don't re-engage until you need to.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    ^^ This one.

I'm all for giving the trow out bearing a break. Don't re-engage until you need to.
    I'm with them. I watch the other light. When it goes yellow I engage first gear. Not only does it give the car a break but I don't make my leg work harder than it needs to lol
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

it's mostly wear on your leg.

In reality, you really don't have to worry about your throwout bearing or anything like that, since wear on those is minimal. You also are doing miniscule amounts of wear on your clutch itself (fully disengaged is actually very, very slightly less than fully disengaged), but in the long run that won't make a difference either.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Okay, good stuff guys, thank you
    2005 WRX "Yosh Yosh"

There's actually MORE wear and tear if you put it in N that if you leave it in gear with the clutch in, nothing is moving while you sit there, so no wear & tear... But if you have to put it in gear you must push in the clutch and for a split second the throwout bearing & syncros get a shock load so if you leave it in 1st already that's one less shock load that gets applied to accomplish the same thing...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

My first car was a 5 speed. I never had an issue with the clutch by holding it in while sitting at a light. That car had 215,000 miles on it with the original clutch. I also learned how to drive standard on that clutch. I have also owned 3 other standard vehicles with no clutch issues. I am not an expert on the issue but I would say not to worry about it.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    There's actually MORE wear and tear if you put it in N that if you leave it in gear with the clutch in, nothing is moving while you sit there, so no wear & tear... But if you have to put it in gear you must push in the clutch and for a split second the throwout bearing & syncros get a shock load so if you leave it in 1st already that's one less shock load that gets applied to accomplish the same thing...
    Sorry but I don't agree with what you're saying. It's better to just put it in neutral.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree with what you're saying. It's better to just put it in neutral.
    It depends on how you drive, coming up to the light... Lets say I'm coming up to a light in 3rd and use engine braking to slow down as I get to the light, that's two shifts 2nd & 1 st and I am ready to take off in 1st without using the clutch to get into 1st agian... You come up to the light shift into N without using the clutch, you are ahead by 2 less uses of the clutch, then you shift into 1st when the light turns green, you are ahead by 1 less use of the clutch. BUT if you use the engine to break, you would use the clutch 3 times to my 2 by gearing down and then having to use it to get into 1st again from N when the light turns green...

EDIT; There's "zero" wear and tear on the clutch, throwout bearing or syncros while the clutch is "in" or "out", it's while actually pressing "in" the clutch and shifting and releasing the clutch is where there is wear and tear happening...
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 11-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I highly doubt your clutch pedal is all the way down every time your at a light. People are lazy and don'y fully depress the clutch.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    I highly doubt your clutch pedal is all the way down every time your at a light. People are lazy and don'y fully depress the clutch.
    But, I'm sure you do.......
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast