Idling in 1st = bad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Idling in 1st = bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; With me, it's more of I don't feel like holding the clutch all the way down while waiting. So I ...

With me, it's more of I don't feel like holding the clutch all the way down while waiting. So I normally just watch the opposing light and push the clutch in and put it in 1st when their light turns yellow.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    But, I'm sure you do.......
    Nope I am lazy as well. That is why I put it in neutral while waiting at a long light.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    It depends on how you drive, coming up to the light... Lets say I'm coming up to a light in 3rd and use engine braking to slow down as I get to the light, that's two shifts 2nd & 1 st and I am ready to take off in 1st without using the clutch to get into 1st agian... You come up to the light shift into N without using the clutch, you are ahead by 2 less uses of the clutch, then you shift into 1st when the light turns green, you are ahead by 1 less use of the clutch. BUT if you use the engine to break, you would use the clutch 3 times to my 2 by gearing down and then having to use it to get into 1st again from N when the light turns green...

EDIT; There's "zero" wear and tear on the clutch, throwout bearing or syncros while the clutch is "in" or "out", it's while actually pressing "in" the clutch and shifting and releasing the clutch is where there is wear and tear happening...
    Or you could depress the clutch put the car in neutral as your approach the light and use the brakes to slow down and stop at the light. Then put it in gear to go. Thats only one shift and basically zero wear.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Or you could depress the clutch put the car in neutral as your approach the light and use the brakes to slow down and stop at the light. Then put it in gear to go. Thats only one shift and basically zero wear.
    Yes you can do it a lot of different ways, I could just use the clutch once, to put it in 1st as I stop and be ready to take off without using the clutch again to put it into 1st, thus one less use of the clutch a 50% reduction of wear & tear every time I stop as compared to your way, or 2X the wear & tear if I shifted down to 2nd & 1st... My main point is there is no wear & tear while you sit there with the clutch pushed in and in 1st ready to go... While there is, every time you push in and when you let out the clutch...
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 11-21-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Nope I am lazy as well. That is why I put it in neutral while waiting at a long light.
    Good
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12