how to tell if a wastegate actuator is bad??

This is a discussion on how to tell if a wastegate actuator is bad?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does anyone kno how to tell if an actuator is bad .....my car keeps overboosting and the shop tried to ...

how to tell if a wastegate actuator is bad??

does anyone kno how to tell if an actuator is bad .....my car keeps overboosting and the shop tried to bypass the solenoid and take out the restricotr pill but its still over boosting. the last thing they did was hook an air compressor up to the actuator to see if it would open the wastegate which it did... they then told me they really dont kno why its over boosting other then the actuator being bad and working under a high pressure from the air compressor but not working from the low pressure from the turbo??? its a 2011 wrx stage 2 aem intake turboinlet hose tmic invidia turbo back and cobb tuner i even tried the severe lwg maps and they still didnt work i really have no clue what else to do. i ordered an actuator if this doesnt fix it idk what it could be any ideas...i have a header ewg uppipe injectors fuel pump and ebc waiting to be put on my car but i want it working properly befor i do theese mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

vac test it. Get a vacuum tester and apply a vacuum. Once its under vac see how long it holds. It should hold same vac for a few minutes. If it doesn't, the diaphragm inside could be ruptured. If it holds, try re-flashing to stage I and put the factory dp back on.. see if it still does it. Some of the Invidia dp's were reported to interfere with the wastegate and not allowing it to open fully. This would cause a overboost condition or cases of boost creep.

Where in the rpm range is it overboosting? Is it just about immediately or is it reaching peak then creeping up? More info would be helpful to better help you.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

i had it at the shop they took the dp off and they said it wasnt interferring with it and mainly in 4th gear if get on the throttler it will creep up to the fuel cut anywhere from 20 -23 psi then throws the code po244 wastegate solenoid i ordered a new actuator if that dosent fix it i really dont kno what would

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you try bypassing the BCS to see if it still over boosts just running spring pressure? IDK what the OEM spring pressure is on your acctuator, if I had to guess I'd say around 8psi. If you hook the line from the compressor straight into the actuator then it shouldn't be able to build any more boost than that. If it does then something must be sticking.

They bypassed it at the shop and it was still overboosting .....they also hooked an aircompressor up to the line to see if the wastegate was opening ol which it was ....the only thing they said was possibly that there is a lot more psi with an air compressor then the actuator would normally see therefore.opening with all the psi from the ac and not opening under normal pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats why you use an air compressor with an adjustable regulator. Could easilly be an issue with the boost control solenoid as well. It is a "bleed" type control system.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

maybe check all the lines from the manifold to the bcs? .. sounds like something isn't getting the reference its supposed to be getting.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

ok so i replaced the actuator and still nothing ...all the little vacume lines are all connected ...i took every aftermarket part off my car today and un installed the acessport and its still overboosting ughhhhh

The best way to tell if an actuator is bad is to see if it wears a baseball cap backwards, pants slung low, gang colors, hangs out in the wrong part of town, and uses words or expressions such as "Homey" "Ho" or "Gettin my thang on."
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading