only reaching 7 psi

This is a discussion on only reaching 7 psi within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I spent most of yesterday searching the web for a solution to this and I am out of ...

only reaching 7 psi

Hey guys, I spent most of yesterday searching the web for a solution to this and I am out of options.

The car is a 02 WRX AP stage 2 with a catless DP. I bought the car used and added those mods myself. Everything was working fine until I took it to a HPDE. The car was running strong and then I started to notice that every session I went out the peak boost would be a little lower every time and now it's at the point were it will only reach 7 psi max, wastegate pressure. It's pulling good vaccum at idle. Accelerating feels strong as boost builds but then it just stops at 7 psi.

So here's what I've done so far. I've visually inspected the vacuum/boost lines and even replaced a few. The resistor pill is in the correct position and all lines are clamped/zip tied. I don't have access to an air compressor so I haven't done a boost leak test yet. I'm thinking this may not be a boost leak since it's pulling good vacuum and it stops right at 7 psi. I could be wrong though.

I tested the BCS as well. With the car in test mode, the BCS does not make any noise or cycle open and closed. I hooked it up to the battery and it does open and close with power applied to it. I also sprayed some brake cleaner in there to clean it out. I disconnected the line to the wastegate actuator and went for a careful drive and it still won't boost past 7 psi. So as far as I know this rules out a bad BCS.

Wastegate actuator arm? I haven't pulled the heat shield off yet, but this seems ok. Is it suppose to move if you just grab it and move it back and forth? It doesn't really move so I don't know if maybe it's stuck open. But then again, wouldn't this cause no boost?

I reset the ECU in case the car was in a limp mode or something. No luck.

Could a bad exhaust leak cause this?

Any ideas? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    if you pulled the waste gate line off and it still only boosts to 7 psi I'm thinking your turbo could be going bad or already gone bad. Without that line on the only thing controlling boost is your foot. Any CEL's? Did you follow your turbo inlet down and check every connection to make sure your not missing a large hose or something causing a massive intake leak? Can you hear an exhaust leak?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    if you pulled the waste gate line off and it still only boosts to 7 psi I'm thinking your turbo could be going bad or already gone bad. Without that line on the only thing controlling boost is your foot. Any CEL's? Did you follow your turbo inlet down and check every connection to make sure your not missing a large hose or something causing a massive intake leak? Can you hear an exhaust leak?
    All connections on the turbo inlet are fine. I can't hear an intake leak. The only thing I can hear is a possible exhaust leak. I can only hear it with the windows up radio off. It seems to coincide with RPM and not boost. It sounds like it is coming from the engine bay. When I stick my head in the engine compartment with the car running I can't hear it.

are you running the stock BPV or a BOV?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    are you running the stock BPV or a BOV?
    stock bpv

do you have any way of datalogging? A tactrix or one you can borrow? It would take a pretty big exhaust leak to make you lose half your boost. I would definitely check all of your exhaust connections as something crazy could have happened. My only other thought is the turbo just crapped out.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

No way to data log unfortunately. Would this be the symptoms of a dying/dead turbo? I know in the supra it would have a death whine.

im not really sure. Usually the first sign is smoking or oil loss but the fact that your boost slowly decreased in a hard driving situation and your now running waste gate pressure even when the BCS is not limiting you leads me to that as the only idea I have left other than a massive leak
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    For exhaust leaks have a friend get a rag or glove and cover the tail pipe like so:
    How to tell where your exhaust leak is, Honda Civic muffler - YouTube
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    For exhaust leaks have a friend get a rag or glove and cover the tail pipe like so:
    How to tell where your exhaust leak is, Honda Civic muffler - YouTube
    I inspected my turbo inlet hose a little closer and the rubber at the turbo end is very soft and slightly deformed. I can't see any visual rips or tears, but I'm thinking this may be the culprit. I'm going to replace it with a Perrin in hopes this is the issue. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGsupra View Post
    I inspected my turbo inlet hose a little closer and the rubber at the turbo end is very soft and slightly deformed. I can't see any visual rips or tears, but I'm thinking this may be the culprit. I'm going to replace it with a Perrin in hopes this is the issue. Who knows.
    definitely possible. They are notorious for doing that
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGsupra
    Instead of buying/installing a $200+ part hoping it'll solve your issue, pressurize your intake tract to be sure that's the culprit.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Instead of buying/installing a $200+ part hoping it'll solve your issue, pressurize your intake tract to be sure that's the culprit.
    Well it is already halfway apart and it the stock one doesn't look like it will hold up much longer.