07 WRX 4th and 5th gear overboost and after 4500 rpm, loss of boost ?!? Help !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 07 WRX 4th and 5th gear overboost and after 4500 rpm, loss of boost ?!? Help ! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so my car has been acting a little weird latley ! I have an 07 wrx stage 2 with ...

07 WRX 4th and 5th gear overboost and after 4500 rpm, loss of boost ?!? Help !

Ok so my car has been acting a little weird latley ! I have an 07 wrx stage 2 with a catless 3'' exhaust. When i go WOT in first i get around 10 psi 2nd and third i get a good 16.3 to 16.9 but at 4500 rpm it starts to plumet and finishs at around 13 psi at 6100. In 4th or 5th gear I often get to 18 psi and then the check engine light appears with the p0244 code ' Tubro/wastegate Solenoid A '!! But when that doesnt happen I'm still boosting 17+ psi and at 4500 rpm it goes down to roughly 14.5 psi! Whats wrong with it ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have a custom tune?
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

No I only have a cobb stage 2 map.. I've been running this map for over four months and it only started a few weeks ago !

Temps are getting colder...colder air means denser air. Denser air means possibility of overboost. Overboost means possibility of Boost Creep. When the check engine light comes up, does the cruise control flash and you hit boost cut?

With a Stage 2 OTS map from Cobb, its going to taper as it approaches redline. Those numbers look *normal* aside from the overboosting and fuel cut (which is the engine/ecu's protection against overboosting).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah his numbers are about where mine are with an ots map.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

Yes the cruise control light starts to flash... But is it normal that I dont maintain my boost to redline. My friend has a gt-4 and his boost never goes down at WOT... He's boosting like 19 psi up to redline ??

Very normal with an ots map to drop boost approaching redline.
    Last edited by 08wrx331; 11-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    Josh

Really... Thats good to hear I guess, but with a protune I'm guessing it doesn't happen ?

Will a protune gain me any HP and torque at all or will it just make the car run a lite better ?

Yes Cobb's OTS maps taper by design...to save their asses so you can't say your engine blew up from too much boost at Redline

A protune, you can have them boost to where ever you'd like. if you want it to hold steady until redline, they can do it. If you want it to taper, they can do it.

But you are definitely hitting fuel cut due to Boost Creep it seems like, ergo the check engine/flashing cruise control light. The issue is the wastegate opening in the TD04 is technically too small for the amount of boost created with the 2.5L engine, so VF39 STIs and 06-07 TD04 WRXs are prone to it. The 2007 STI used a VF43 which the only difference between that and a VF39 was the wastegate diameter was larger to combat boost creep. You issue can be tuned for to help combat creep (changing peak boost, eliminating the factor on the ECU that causes fuel cut, etc), but that is only technically a band-aid fix. The only true thing to "fix" is to have the wastegate opening ported, or by adding an aftermarket EWG.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ok.. Now I was thinking of going stage 3 with a vf39... By doing so do you think it would solve the problem ?

Not so much with a VF39, that still caused boost creep problems on 04-06 STIs...look for a VF43 from an 07 STI. Same turbo, but with a larger wastegate opening, which is what you want.

Ok so a vf43 turbo will help the boost creep but will my 565 cc injectors be able to handle this turbo ?

I have heard that just getting a protune will make a world of difference, not only in just the drivability of the car, but also in your peak numbers because the tuner is able to get all the power possible out of your car for what modifications you have. I plan on getting protuned as soon as i can so that i don't have the tapering boost/crappy overall OTS tune.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Carbones_87 View Post
    Ok so a vf43 turbo will help the boost creep but will my 565 cc injectors be able to handle this turbo ?
    yes your 565cc injectors should be ok. A Walbro 255lph fuel pump would benefit you though.

Quote Originally Posted by 08wrx331 View Post
    I have heard that just getting a protune will make a world of difference, not only in just the drivability of the car, but also in your peak numbers because the tuner is able to get all the power possible out of your car for what modifications you have. I plan on getting protuned as soon as i can so that i don't have the tapering boost/crappy overall OTS tune.
    You have heard correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast