11 wrx turbo flutter???

This is a discussion on 11 wrx turbo flutter??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2011 wrx ap stage 2 invidia catted dp aem intake and turbo xs blow off ....today I ...

11 wrx turbo flutter???

I have a 2011 wrx ap stage 2 invidia catted dp aem intake and turbo xs blow off ....today I installed a perrin top mount ic and turbo inlet hose and when it driving it sounds like its fluttering its not loud and not constant any ideas ?? I thought possibly the oring on the intercooler got messed up when I installed it would this cause a fluttering noise if the oring wasn't in place correctly ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have a tune to support those mods?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

no i do not have a tune other then the ap .....i asked iag performance when i recieved the parts if i could install them without a tune and they said that the intercooler and inlet hose wouldnt affect it

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    cobb stage 2 doesn't support that intake. that said...

the stock downpipe does a really good job of silencing noise. all aftermarket downpipes allow much more noise. The noise is hard to define, other than you can hear the wastegate and spool much louder than stock.

Since you replaced the turbo inlet hose, I would check/double check that you have the clamped on correctly. you won't reach target boost and will let crap into the turbo if it isn't put on exactly right. Also, make sure your BPV is secured to the IC with the gasket - and if you have a boost gauge, make sure the t-fitting is on correct.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

You will hear the turbo and EWG a lot more with the new DP and intake, so what you're hearing may be perfectly normal.

However, you need to either remove the mods not supported by the Cobb OTS map you're running, or get a custom tune. The IC, BOV, and inlet hose could cause problems if used with that map, and the noises you're hearing may not be good noises and could be caused by one or more of these parts.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

cobb does have an aem intake selection of maps

is it only at low rpms on full throttle? if so i have heard of it before

Yes you're correct Vash, they do. However, I wonder if the OP is running the regular stage 2 map or the one that's meant for the AEM intake? The AP only comes pre-loaded with the stage 2 map that is meant for the OEM intake, so you have to install the AP software on your computer, download that map from Cobb's website, hook up your AP to it, and download it to the AP in order to flash it to your car's ECU.
    Scott

oh i'm aware, i hope he is as well

i am aware i have the aem stage 2 93 octane severe lwg map bc my car is overboosting and its at like steady throttle it sounds like the turbo is cutting the air i never noticed it until i put the inlet and intercooler on the performance shop said i woulndt need a tune for the inlet and intercooler