Check Engline Light: Too Lean

This is a discussion on Check Engline Light: Too Lean within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Heys guys hows it going? I own a 05 WRX Premium that is at 66k miles and the only mod ...

Check Engline Light: Too Lean

Heys guys hows it going? I own a 05 WRX Premium that is at 66k miles and the only mod is a Borla Catback exhaust. My CEL light came on recently and the code at Autozone read as "Too Lean". Took it to the subaru service station and they said the previous owner didn't change/clean the Air Filter which led to gunk building up. So they replaced the air filter (something I could have done myself but Im a noob to the car game still) and cleaned out the build up. A week the later the CEL comes on AGAIN and the same code is reading. Any tips? I mean the CEL as gone, but now its back. I have the receipt so Im going to take it back to them, but Im out of town right now. Dont like driving around with my CEL light on. Also what damage could this possibly cause? Please dont flame, I just need help. Thanks bros.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A CEL is only meaningful with an actual code. Yours sounds like PO171, bank 1 lean. There is only 1 bank. Clean the air filter, the intake housing for the filter, and very importantly the MAF. Not just the temp probe that's visible on the MAF unit, but the actual MAF probe itself, that is down the shaft. Use actual MAF cleaner, and treat it like a delicate piece of electronics, not a car part.

That should do it, provided you do have a PO171 and do not have an intake leak or boost leak, or a failure of the reference line to the fuel pressure regulator (and you likely do not have these from what you've said).

Hope this helps.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thats the code I got. What tools do I need to clean my MAF and Air Filter. Also are their any tutorials on the boards SD_GR?

bump >_>

I Support ClubWRX
    Behold:

$5 and 5 minutes to a better running car :)

You will need a philips screw driver to remove the MAF, plus dedicated MAF cleaner. One brand is CRC MAF cleaner, in a grey and white can. Be careful and handle everything gently. Again, think delicate electronics, not car parts.

When you replace the MAF, make sure the harness faces forward. Take a mobile phone pic if necessary before removing it. In the other thread, look at the MAF pic, and clean not only the probe visible but also "in" the shaft itself. Let it dry out etc. You'll see what I mean when you see the actual unit.

Also, check that the tabs on the cover for the air filter are seated correctly, plus all mentioned above.

Read that entire other thread, it's worth your while to know what you'll be doing and why. Good luck.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks brah. Would rep if this forum had a rep system.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean those little green things? The forum does; I know because I have them by my name and avatar. Don't worry about it though; there are only a few available for each member (I think you may not have the option yet because you are a new member, actually). Stick around and enjoy the forum. Check out the sticky threads in each sub forum, and/or follow the link in my signature for all sorts of info. Great reading.

check MAF like they said, also check for any cracked, lose, or broken vacuum hoses

You can also use electronics spray cleaner instead of MAF cleaner. It's usually 1/2 the price and is exactly the same thing.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading