2003 WRX Humming noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX Humming noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Brass tax, uhh 85+ mph (i know its a little fast but i gotta get to work on time) there ...

2003 WRX Humming noise

Brass tax, uhh 85+ mph (i know its a little fast but i gotta get to work on time) there is a VERY audible humming noise like a deeper toned humming noise coming from my car. I dont need to get to 85 mph in 2 seconds for it to happen i could be doing 65 then slowly creep up to 85+ then theres this humming noise. It happens in 5th gear, AND when i take it out of gear and coast. As soon as i get below 85 it goes away. Im lost I dont feel any shimmy in the wheel, body, it drives like normal theres no popping grinding whirring clacking just a pretty annoying humming noise. Ive thrown my car on a lift checked for play in any linkage and wheel bearings and its all tight as a tiger. Theres just a god awful bearing noise is what it sounds like. and i dont know if anyone has had this problem or heard of anything like this. anything to at least point me in the right direction would be cool. Ill try to be as descriptive as i can.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Differentials...its normal at that speed to hear all the parts moving around together (think about it...three diffs can make a lot of noise). Typical with rattle-box AWD cars with very little sound dampening materials.

So how tight are tigers anyway?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Well it turns out its my stoopid hoodscoop making noise. It's the 03 jdm scoop. The noise was never there until i put the scoop on. It was super windy out friday the day after this post and it was making the noise at like 65 mph. A big gust of wind blew and the noise changed pitch so i gotta figure out if anyone has had this issya before. As tight as a tiger should be.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

Mines doin the same thing at a range of 55-65 and gets quiet again at around 80 (lead foot). it sounds like its comin from the far right side though.
    "Could be worse.....right?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.