I smell coolant, but can't see/find a leak - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on I smell coolant, but can't see/find a leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In the past like when I built a stroker motor for my truck I used fel-pro gaskets. Do you consider ...

In the past like when I built a stroker motor for my truck I used fel-pro gaskets. Do you consider those imitation?
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

subarus are very picky when it comes to the cooling system... at least in my experience. And yes, get the actual subaru parts. I changed out my thermostat twice in two months before i went to the dealer and ordered genuine parts.

here is a pic of the geniuine subaru thermostat as compared to the one from autoparts store (ie. autozone, oriely's,)

now which one would you go with? haha. like i said, went through two of the ones on the right before getting the one on the left... that was months ago. and i have yet to have a problem.

also, make sure to get the subaru coolant, may cost more than say prestone, but its better and has certain additives that are meant for subaru motors

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

thanks for the pic, eddie. i'll probably take you guys' advice. i'm not gonna do it for a week or so at the soonest so i'll just order stuff.

also thanks for the other replies. cheers guys.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 08wrx331 View Post
    In the past like when I built a stroker motor for my truck I used fel-pro gaskets. Do you consider those imitation?
    Yes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

is it a gasket there or an o-ring?
    Josh

I Support ClubWRX
    The authentic part acts like an O-ring, it fits a recess in the metal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12