? on engine oil, 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ? on engine oil, 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone! I am new here and new to Subaru. I have owned a 96 Tacoma since I was 16, ...

? on engine oil, 2011 WRX

Hello everyone!

I am new here and new to Subaru. I have owned a 96 Tacoma since I was 16, needless to say I have always dreamed of the day I would own a WRX! Well that day came in July!!! WAHOO. Anyways Since July I have had my one free oil change through the dealer at 3000 miles. I am looking to do my own oil change and every dealer keeps giving me different answers....All I want to know is which oil to use that will work with the warranty? One dealer says mobile 1 only, then the next says as long as its synthetic 5w30 you are fine. I asked for specs and they will not give me anything except 5w30.
    I have bought my subaru oil filter and gasket, but now in need of the correct oil.
    I have always used valvoline. I know I need synthetic 5w30. But what do you all use?

I would appreciate the help. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I use Castrol Synthetic. The owners manual gives you the requirements, I don't know them off hand but most major oil companies' synthetics meet them
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    It makes no difference what I use. It also makes no difference what any dealer tells you. All that matters is what Subaru have stated in writing. Follow the specification as required (see manual or email SOA directly) and concern yourself with spec, not brand. Keep all receipts for warranty purposes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you both for your reply!

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

DWK
    Can't go wrong with Subaru's synthetic motor oil. You also don't have to worry about warranty issues just keep your receipts. With turbo charged engines especially, it's more important to change your oil often.

Make sure you get a good filter wrench that you can grab from the top, they put the filters on super tight and it's hard to loosen with a strap type wrench.

That made my quick first oil change into a long evening project.

I Support ClubWRX
    The first one always has the potential to be a pain. Subaru are not the only maker that does this either, regrettably. I always dread it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks again for the replies this all helps soo much!

I Support ClubWRX
    Motul 5W30
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.