Smoke from MY turbo too!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Smoke from MY turbo too! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, it's an 03 WRX, I have oil leaking, I'm going to be replacing valve cover gaskets and oil return ...

Smoke from MY turbo too!

Ok, it's an 03 WRX, I have oil leaking, I'm going to be replacing valve cover gaskets and oil return line. (I actually think both are leaking :gah: )

So;

What else should I replace while I'm at it? and,

Anyone have some exploded diagrams of the turbo and related oil system so I can study up before I start? There's nothing in my shop manual that would help.

Also I'm not sure exactly which parts I will be ordering from my dealership, and the parts guy there isn't usually much help. Maybe if someone has done a write up you can link me to? Or just tell me

And if not, I can do a write up of my own for this because I want to contribute SOMETHING to the forum instead of just asking dumb questions everone's answered a hundred times already. Lol.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by super13pill; 11-05-2011 at 02:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    how are you replacing the gaskets? Do you need to pull the motor? I never had to replace those, but I can't imagine this is easy because of the boxer layout.

the only thing I would pro-actively do if I were going to have the car in pieces is the plugs, timing belt, and water pump.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First see where its actually smoking from...the turbo or is it smoking from a hot surface because oil is hitting it? You need to see that first before you start buying parts.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Well I have smoking oil on the front of the passenger side exhaust header, presumably coming from the valve cover gasket, (or the timing chain cover?) and I have smoke coming from underneath the turbo. Can't see exactly where from on either one though.

I'm going to go clean the whole motor at a coin-op spray-n-wash today, so that might help me find the exact source.

The back story is; installed perrin turbo inlet hose, broke a vacuum line to the BCS, then had fuel cut on the freeway from an 18psi pull. (OOPS!) I'm all stock cept for the inlet hose.

I had some seepage from the valve cover before that is now a full blown leak, so I'm definitely doing both of those. There's also a flange on top of each cover, I think for the pressure control system, that has a lot of build-up around it, so I'll go ahead and do those gaskets too.

Maybe oil from the valve cover is leaking onto the up pipe and causing the smoke from under the turbo?

I really don't mind just replacing whatever seals are associated with the turbo/oil system, I would much rather be safe than sorry. I've gone through a quart of oil in about 300 miles so far... Getting very nervous to even drive it.

Nvmd I figured it out myself.

What ended up being the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mendowagon View Post
    What ended up being the problem?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by pfsquirrel View Post
    +1
    See I'm not the only one...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.