Maintaining my car to keep healthy

This is a discussion on Maintaining my car to keep healthy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys if you dont mind list the things I should do weekly/monthly/yearly/ or every so many miles to keep ...

Maintaining my car to keep healthy

Hey guys if you dont mind list the things I should do weekly/monthly/yearly/ or every so many miles to keep my car in good condition and make it run healthy and most importantly longer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The manufacturer has already done this. Follow the schedule in your owner's manual.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Post Re:

Changing motor oil can be done quickly and with little hassle. Before you start, be sure to have the proper supplies. Washing is what we are most familiar with. Because washing is intuitive we think that the main way of protecting our cars is through washing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    The manufacturer has already done this. Follow the schedule in your owner's manual.
    http://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/main...edule2008.html
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

change oil every 3000 miles, if you have over 90,000 miles make sure you change timing belt. always make sure you have water (coolant). make sure oil level is always full, always keep an eye on brake fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, power steering fluid, clutch fluid, serpentine belts (look for cracks or rips), fix any existing leak, check brakes, check wheels for any bearing play, change spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter. i can go on forever but keeping up with these things can help keep your car running longer. my main concern would be the timing belt

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Use good quality synthetic fluids and if you're around 90k miles, may be time to change your timing belt, water pump and tensioners while you're at it.

If you need any of these parts, let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by juantawn View Post
    change oil every 3000 miles
    If you're using conventional oil then maybe, but these days even conventional oils are so good that every 3000 miles is just a waste of money.

I'd use synthetic oil in a slightly heavier weight than specified by the manual, which I believe is 5w-30. I'd go to a 10w-40 because of the mileage on the car. You can run synthetic oil for easily 7-8k miles without any decrease in reliability. Get a good quality oil filter too, not the cheapo ones. It amazes me how many people stick with crappy oil filters that have much lower filtering capabilities in terms of the particle sizes they'll trap.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    If you're using conventional oil then maybe, but these days even conventional oils are so good that every 3000 miles is just a waste of money.

I'd use synthetic oil in a slightly heavier weight than specified by the manual, which I believe is 5w-30. I'd go to a 10w-40 because of the mileage on the car. You can run synthetic oil for easily 7-8k miles without any decrease in reliability. Get a good quality oil filter too, not the cheapo ones. It amazes me how many people stick with crappy oil filters that have much lower filtering capabilities in terms of the particle sizes they'll trap.
    +1 to this. Just got my UOA result for my current oil with ~3750 miles and it is still performing really well. One thing everyone should know is that the color of the oil does not reflect it's ability to protect and lubricate the engine. Also keep in mind I have a 2011 WRX. They extended oil change intervals up to 7500 miles. I don't see yours being be any different unless your car is still under warranty then follow what is specified on your car manual.

I'm currently running M1 EP 5w-30 SN/GF-5 btw. Any known synthetics should perform just as well.
    Last edited by KHP; 11-10-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Two minor points:

juantawn brings up a valid issue: a long OCI is great but some owners read "xxxx" distance and never check the oil. Keep it topped up. It makes a huge difference.

KHP also brings up a valid issue about oil colour. I'd go a step further in the other direction though -- I would worry if the oil does not turn dark and "ugly." If it doesn't, does that mean it is not suspending contaminants? That's what I'd worry about. A UOA will tell the tale of course, but I'd be more inclined to get one if after 7500 mi the oil looks "great" rather than "shot," oddly enough.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    The funny part about this whole thing is that ever since I started getting UOA's. I couldn't wait to rack up the miles on my car so that I can get another UOA done .

I'm getting another one done when my current oil hits 7500 miles, and perform an oil change. I'll share the results with you guys.
    Last edited by KHP; 11-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    I'll share the results with you guys.
    That would be very thoughtful and a great service to everyone. Thank you.