Raw fuel smell

This is a discussion on Raw fuel smell within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So basically I started smelling raw fuel inside the car one morning. I figured maybe I overfilled it when I ...

Raw fuel smell

So basically I started smelling raw fuel inside the car one morning. I figured maybe I overfilled it when I got gas last. Kinda brushed it off. Now I'm smelling it again. While idling and while driving (low speeds). Its coming, or smells like its coming, from in front of the turbo. I see fuel lines coming in on the drivers side and then going under the throttlebody. Maybe a fuel unit on the passenger side as well (i'm new to suburu) Thinking maybe a fuel injector? Wondering if anyone had any ideas. Or maybe anybody had this happen to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is your car?

This is a very common issue in older Subies...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru recalled some older models for this issue
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Its an 02 wrx wagon. What was the recall for and what year?

Subaru has initiated a voluntary regional recall to replace specific engine fuel lines and hoses
    on approximately 5,724 2002 and 2003MY Impreza WRX models registered in 16 “cold weather” states located in NOAA Climate Zone 1.

The affected states are:
    Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York,
    South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Campaign code WVK-21 has been assigned to this regional recall.
    In extremely cold temperatures, a certain engine fuel line/hose may
    temporarily seep some fuel during initial cold engine start up.
    If this condition occurs, vehicle occupants may notice the smell of fuel.
    To correct this condition, affected vehicles will require replacement of the engine fuel delivery line and hose.
    A special repair parts kit will be available in the near future.
    The kit contains all parts needed to complete this repair.

Additionally, Subaru will follow up in early CY 2010 with letters to owners
    that it will provide an extended 12 year/unlimited mileage warranty for this
    condition to owners of affected vehicles located in the remaining 34 states.

General information concerning this Recall:
    • Campaign Bulletin WVK-21 will be posted on the Techinfo.Subaru.com website during the week of December 7, 2009. The Bulletin will contain additional information concerning identification of affected vehicles, repair and claim submission procedures.

• Notification letters will be mailed to vehicle owners registered in the 16 affected states on or around December 16, 2009.

• VIN lists will be sent to dealers located in the affected 16 states on or around December 14, 2009.

• Information concerning repair parts availability will be released in the near future.

Ok well thats beautiful to know. I wonder if thats the problem I am facing. It sounds framiliarly similar even though I have a california car.
    So Beings that all this recall was done back in '09 and 2010 is there anyway I could find out if thats what my problem is?
    Is there now an available parts kit that I can get if this is my problem? I went on techinfo.subaru and that was impossible to navigate the site.
    Is this something I should contact the dealer about?

Repair parts – Each affected vehicle will require replacement of the engine fuel lines and
    related hoses. “WVK-21 Repair Kit”, part number 10130AA000, is available for this repair. The kit contains the necessary fuel pipe set, hoses and intake manifold gaskets to complete this repair.

http://www.scoobymods.com/fuel-smell...86.html?t=2886

this is a really good diy with pictures on how to do it. hope it helps.

Thanks so much. I read that thread on scoobymods. Its weird though in the area I live it rarely reaches below freezing. Could this still be my problem? Is there a way I could cross reference my VIN or maybe engine number if there is one?

its very possible i guess, im not sure about the cross reference though.

Sorry to sound dumb but pretty much I can take that part number to the dealer and request the parts kit? And that should be that.

So I'm not to sure if anyone is r was following my little thread. But I took my suby to my "neighborhood mechanic" and from just obervation and smell he figured my fuel smell could be a leaky injector. However after getting some great feedback on a Recall made for fuel lines leaking it made me contact my local subaru dealer. Talking with service department the guy was an ASS, pretty much asked for my vin, told me the only open campaign was for liftgate mounts (like a give a F*** at this point). After trying to rack his brain he pretty much gave me the bring it in 90$ to diagnose. SO I'm at a standstill. Do i tear into it and try and find the leak on my own? Do I let my local mechanic check/change injectors or even order the recall parts kit and just have him install it? Or do I take the shaft from subaru no Ky included? haha

HELP! haha

Any Input? ANy suggestions? What would you do? I just need ideas

Take it too another dealear and call the subaru america first. This is a known problem the tech is being a ....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by theblurz View Post
    Take it too another dealear and call the subaru america first. This is a known problem the tech is being a ....
    DO-NOT blame the technician. This is more than likely not even a Service Writer but just a service receptionist who usually answers the phone, schedules appointments and answers questions. Take the car down to another subaru dealer and speak with a service advisor. Be courteous and polite and more than likely they will resolve your issue.

Have you had this vehicle since new? You state it is a cali car but how would you know it wasnt from one of the mentioned states unless your original owner.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    DO-NOT blame the technician. This is more than likely not even a Service Writer but just a service receptionist who usually answers the phone, schedules appointments and answers questions. Take the car down to another subaru dealer and speak with a service advisor. Be courteous and polite and more than likely they will resolve your issue.

Have you had this vehicle since new? You state it is a cali car but how would you know it wasnt from one of the mentioned states unless your original owner.
    I've gotten The issue cleared up after times of on and off the phone with the service department and negotiating. In the end this is what happened. Took my car back, they diagnosed the problem for a 126 doller fee that would be waived if it was there fault. I hung around for a few hours checkin out the BEAUTIFUL new cashier they hired. Then its done...the guy tells me now this is what was going on...turns out it was a TSB related to the CEL P0457 and pretty much It told the tech to just reflash my computer. They turned out only charging me 46 dollars total (weird). I'm thinking maybe the reflashing the computer could of been nessacary after the warranty work they did on my fuel rails so therefore they felt guilty...idk. All in all I told the guy so what are you goin to tell me when the CEL comes back on and he chuckled with confidence in saying this problems been "taken care of". We will see, so far so good. And yes Cali car no not original owner (2nd).

On a happy note winters here and I got my Gold winter set on and my laminx covers came in to seal up my foglights (one was chipped with a small hole).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downsize (7).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	100971