02 bugeye turbo oil mesh! help!

This is a discussion on 02 bugeye turbo oil mesh! help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just stumbled upon this today: "Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related ...

02 bugeye turbo oil mesh! help!

So I just stumbled upon this today:
    "Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has reduced their recommended oil drain interval in half, as a solution, from 7,500 miles to 3,750 miles (3-3/4 months) and requires the oil mesh screen to be inspected, and possibly serviced, at every oil change. With this Subaru factory related design issue, AMSOIL INC. therefore must recommend customers follow the new Subaru oil change interval of 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months until Subaru resolves this issue."

I have an 02 Wrx 65k miles. Amsoil fully synthetic oil every 7000 mi. I use their aftermarket P.I. (performance improver) fluid every now and then. Do I need to be worried about the above? Also I called the dealership and they said it costs 999.99 and mesh should be cleaned every 30k or so. Thats frigging expensive. I also read online that yhe passenger side mesh does not need to be cleaned/removed, its the drivers side, and that happens to be easier to do. I live in CT and was wondering what to do next!

I appreciate any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Neither worry nor the use of Amsoil products is necessary. The bulletin, like all bulletins, specifies affected models. Yours is not affected.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

remove/replace the banjo bolt that has the mesh in it. People have been doing that for years since this has been a known issue among the community.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah well known long time issue. The fix is to delete the screen. Done.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    The car discussed is not affected.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Does anyone know if this can be done at home? Any pictures would help too! If so what are the tools needed and if not how much can I expect to pay to get it done prOfessionally. Thanks a lOt guys!