02 wrx rhythmic grinding sound! help please!

This is a discussion on 02 wrx rhythmic grinding sound! help please! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; sooo basically here is my situation. i bought this car 5 days ago and it just now decides to make ...

02 wrx rhythmic grinding sound! help please!

sooo basically here is my situation.
    i bought this car 5 days ago and it just now decides to make some noise.

80k bone stock.

whats happens is on idle a wierd rythmic grinding noise like a rusty bearing is coming from the front passenger side of the engine bay. the sound and speed of the noise increases and decreases with the throttle not wheel speed. it doesnt affect driveability, but i am new to these cars and this sounds like it can elevate to a more serious issue. it comes and goes, but is usually on a cold start. i commute from tahoe to sac and it rarely does it in sac, but everytime it sits in tahoe it will surely make the sound when i start it up in the morning, and continue on for the next fifteen minutes of driving or so, and sometimes stay on for longer. any help would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Belt, roller, or tensioner. If the belts are not new and/or are not authentic, replace them with authentic Subaru belts. Check the pulleys while the belts are off.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the belts are in the front of the engine though, or is there more on the side towards the passenger side that i cant see?

I Support ClubWRX
    All belts are on the front; two visible ancillary belts and one covered timing belt.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah and its not coming from the front. its coming from farther back

maybe a pilot bearing or clutch throwout bearing, does it come and go when you press or depress clutch?

also, make sure starter isnt stuck grinding of flywheel or flexplate

How have you isolated where the sound is coming from? Are you listening with the hood open and standing over the engine bay, or just listening from inside the car? If you're listening from inside the car, then you can't rely on where you think the sound is coming from. Many things will sound like they're coming from somewhere else.

Since it's entirely based on engine speed and not vehicle speed, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's a belt tensioner bearing or bearing in the water pump or another bearing up there.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by juantawn View Post
    maybe a pilot bearing or clutch throwout bearing, does it come and go when you press or depress clutch?
    It's engine speed dependent so this couldn't possibly be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by juantawn View Post
    also, make sure starter isnt stuck grinding of flywheel or flexplate
    Sorry but if this was stuck he'd know it for sure.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

haha, yeah i have popped the hood to hear it. i actually took a piece of pvc pipe and ran it throughout the engine bay listening everywhere to isolate it and came across the cover for the timing belt on the passenger side. so obviously it has to be either one of the tensioners or bearings within there. hopefully not one of the cam gears, but i don't think one of those would make the sound of a bearing. I plan to take that cover off tomorrow to check everything out, i just havent had the time. Funny thing is that the guy i bought it from bought a whole new timing belt kit a year ago and had some guy on here in galt put it together for him for a 12 pack of miller.. makes me wonder

Yeah that's one of those things that makes you go "hmmmmmm....."
    Scott

exaaaaactly hahah. I am just happy i found exactly where it is. (hopefully)
    nothing better then buying your dream car and it making sounds on you in the first two days..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dubyewareex' View Post
    haha, yeah i have popped the hood to hear it. i actually took a piece of pvc pipe and ran it throughout the engine bay listening everywhere to isolate it and came across the cover for the timing belt on the passenger side. so obviously it has to be either one of the tensioners or bearings within there. hopefully not one of the cam gears, but i don't think one of those would make the sound of a bearing.
    The cam gears are directly bolted to the cams using 10 mm allens. I also doubt it's them.

There are two guides, one for each cam gear, and hopefully they're not making contact with the belt. There are no rollers and such on the passenger side though, everything that's on a bearing tends to be toward the center and the tensioner is on the other side. Check for contact with the cover itself too, you never know.

See this:
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement