Smoke, Cause Unknown - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoke, Cause Unknown within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My reserve tank is right next to the radiator. I'm not sure where the hose for coolant leads but I ...

My reserve tank is right next to the radiator. I'm not sure where the hose for coolant leads but I suppose I could trace it tomorrow after work when I have some time. I can check these clamps tomorrow as well, provided I can find all these things. Are the clamps and hoses near the turbo area (where you specified) or are they down lower in the engine bay?

I took the car back today to have them put er on the lift and they found normal spots where grease or small oil deposits would be. But nothing outta the ordinary. They even brought me back to show me what "normal" looks like. Plus I had no smoke today; perhaps something finally burned off. My mechanic said a single drop of oil could take up to fifteen minutes to burn off; and this was probably residual like others said from when I had my seals redone just last week (but the car still smoked before this).

I will still check into the things you have pointed out. Thanks for all the help as well mjboudreaux77! I'll post back up with the findings soon.
    '02 WRX Bugeye; Midnight Blue / Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a modified car that was returned to stock. This is almost always done quickly and poorly. I would go over that turbo with a mirror and flashlight. Look for leaks either oil or coolant. Also inspect the turbo coolant reservoir for cracks. Maybe also check the radiator cap.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Sounds like a modified car that was returned to stock. This is almost always done quickly and poorly. I would go over that turbo with a mirror and flashlight. Look for leaks either oil or coolant. Also inspect the turbo coolant reservoir for cracks. Maybe also check the radiator cap.
    Where would I find the turbo coolant reservoir and turbo coolant lines? I have taken the heat shield off and inspected all of the top side and found nothing, so has the mechanic, nothing. And BTW this is the only other problem I have with the car besides replacing the radiator when I first got the car because it cracked and got coolant everywhere, and that was awhile ago.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo coolant reservoir is the small box in front of the turbo that has what looks like a radiator cap on it.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I'm with mjboudreaux that it's coolant and not a petroleum-based fluid. Any of those produce smoke with a definite blue tinge to it, while coolant smokes white.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Sorry all. I have not been able to post due to the site being down (1.5 days). But here it is. I checked the coolant line, looks good. No white specs of anything near any of the couplings.

I can check (or try to find) the turbo coolant reserve a bit later and get back to guys.

The smoke has also ceased for the past two days now, but who knows when it'll come back, just like it did before. Thanks again for the help.

Hi guys I think I am having the exact same problem (white smoke) with my 04 Subaru WRX. I recently had to replace clutch and flywheel (lightened). The last few days I have been getting intermittent white smoke after shutting down which comes through scoop and bonnet. Any time that happens I am noticing a drop in my coolant level in the reservoir bottle. I have been scratching my head as to the source. My car is pretty much stock with the exception of the lightened flywheel.
    Do you recommend I should have the turbo serviced as well; I will have my mechanic take a look at power steering lines, as well as lines carrying coolant to Turbo as smokes seems to be coming from that general area.

OK I checked the turbo coolant reserve, it's full. My reserve next to the radiator is sort of low. Should I fill it to "full" and see what happens?

So we should always make sure both the turbo reserve and the radiator-based reserve are full? Or do we only add the coolant to one reserve or the other with turbo vehicles????

Safely you can top up the radiator reservoir (plastic bottle) and monitor. I am hoping to have my car looked at this week. I will let you know what the mechanic diagnoses the problem as.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Dredlocks9 View Post
    Safely you can top up the radiator reservoir (plastic bottle) and monitor. I am hoping to have my car looked at this week. I will let you know what the mechanic diagnoses the problem as.

Regards
    This would be much appreciated. Thank you. I would like to hear what your mechanic tells you vs. what mine has been telling / doing each time I took my car in for this issue.

Ever find out what your smoke problem was? I'm having the same problem and have been researching for a couple days now looking for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendowagon View Post
    Ever find out what your smoke problem was? I'm having the same problem and have been researching for a couple days now looking for an answer.
    I believe so. I had my mechanic actually go over the car a few times as I kept coming to him with different possibilities on what it could have been. I started by having them replace all he engine seals and gaskets, not very cheap but they said it looked like it needed it anyway for my mileage and it had not been done. After this was completed I noticed the next day the smoke was still there. I took it back thinking a CV boot had ripped and might have just been spraying some moisture on the downpipe (below the turbo) and that was not the cause either. I also knew the turbo itself was not bad because otherwise I would have been blowing some heavy white smoke out the exhaust.

Ultimately I'm telling you these things so you can rule them out. My mechanic looked at all the grease on the underside of my car and actually showed me the different places where grease is supposed to build up and he said it was all normal. Bottom line he said is that it was most likely a drop or two of oil that may have gotten under there during the seal replacements and beforehand perhaps some road moisture (since it had been a wet week outside). He said a drop of oil can take awhile to burn off; you can actually take a drop of oil on your fingertip and write your name out forwards and backwards across your windshield and still have some leftover (just to give you an idea of oil behavior).

It has been fine since that time and so far just chalked it up residual oil. Let me know if your situation changes; I would like to see how yours turns out, if it stops, etc. Thanks.
    Last edited by WRidesX; 02-16-2012 at 09:09 PM.

WRideX
    Thanks for the info. I'm not too pumped on the idea of it being bad gaskets that sounds like a B**** to change. I'm going to do a strong visual tomorrow and see what I find out.
    You haven't had smoke since?
    I can fire my wrx up and let it warm up to idle and sit there and idle with no smoke it takes about 5 or so minutes of driving...

Quote Originally Posted by Mendowagon View Post
    WRideX
    Thanks for the info. I'm not too pumped on the idea of it being bad gaskets that sounds like a B**** to change. I'm going to do a strong visual tomorrow and see what I find out.
    You haven't had smoke since?
    I can fire my wrx up and let it warm up to idle and sit there and idle with no smoke it takes about 5 or so minutes of driving...
    Yes it does take about about 5 min of driving for the smoke to start flying. And yeah for whatever reason it has not come back since that day (I only kept taking the car back to keep troubleshooting). The first this happened to me was in the summer when I decided to spray an abnormal amount of water through the hood scoop while washing the car more on the turbo side of the scoop, because you do have a vent in your hood scoop that is right above the turbo heat shield. The smoke came and by the time I reached the shop to show them it was gone (because water burns off faster than oil).

Keep me updated. We'll figure it out.

Crawled under my car today and couldn't find any power steering leaks or oil leaks. No torn cv boot either. What I did find was a pinhole sized leak in the seam weld on my downpipe. It was puking out any oiley condensation that was going through the exhaust; initially burning off as it ran down the downpipe. Took it to my buddy who was set up to weld stainless and had him tack up the hole. No smoke since. We shall see if it smokes again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast