2000(W) impreza coolant problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2000(W) impreza coolant problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi there, looking for advice on a coolant issue..... Its a 2000(W) reg classic impreza turbo, and seems to be ...

Question 2000(W) impreza coolant problem

Hi there, looking for advice on a coolant issue.....
    Its a 2000(W) reg classic impreza turbo, and seems to be loosing coolant after driving, there are no visible signs of leaks or emulsified oil and occasionally i can smell coolant (like a fresh rubber smell i think)...
    Im thinking its possibly a stuck or dodgy thermostat that could be boiling off the coolant, although the bottom and top hoses are warm, but i have filled the metal expansion tank so there is a level in the plastic filler bottle, yet after 2 days driving this tank is half empty.....

Any ideas? if it is thermo is it a simple fix? think i have located it underside of engine driverside......
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have circulation it's not the thermostat. Let the car cool off completely (overnight). Pull off the rad cap and wait until it warms up completely, and see if you have circulation. If you do, find the leak elsewhere. Be careful, it can splatter hot coolant as you're looking and the fans can come on at any time (fingers safe, face safe etc.).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the response, thawt thermostat may not be opening fully as cannot find a leak anywhere? filled it up tonight though so will check the level again tomorrow, but it only seems to happen after driving, which made me think it was boiling off (temp gauge is always on middle wen driving, after warming up)...
    Any other ideas as to why it may loose coolant??..
    Thanks again..

I Support ClubWRX
    If the system has been opened for some reason recently, and the issue arose after that, then you may have an air bubble and the system will need to be burped.

Other than that, if you are losing coolant, you have a leak. Find it. Pressure test the system if necessary; if the pressure test shows a leak, it's a matter of locating it. If the pressure test does not show a leak, either the leak only occurs with the motor running or the leak is at a point not tested or not pressurized (that is, downstream of the rad cap).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok thanks, i have filled it and left over night and the level is holding while motor not running, so its defo only happening when the engine is running...
    I wouldnt have thought it would be an air lock if the level keeps dropping, but you never know, so it only seems to be when hot or after driving, so im guessing a possible minor leak that only happens once pressurised....
    Will have to try burping/pressure testing just to eliminate as scratching heads at mo???....lol

Thanks for the response

Just like to thank everyone for their responses/advice etc....i have now found the issue and thought i would post it here to let everyone know incase they find a similar issue.

Problem lay with perished plastic (bit like cracked leather) on radiator tanks on the vertical ends of the metal fins. the coolant was originally only leaking while being driven, but now seeps out once the throttle is applied (although it still does not leek while idling).

Thanks again....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.