2002 WRX Noises - Video included

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Noises - Video included within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I'm back with a video this time. 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX cold start - YouTube This is a ...

2002 WRX Noises - Video included

Hey all, I'm back with a video this time.

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX cold start - YouTube

This is a cold start at about 50 degrees F.

Recently, I've noticed a ticking noise that is a lot more audible that it used to be. When I bought the car, there was a ticking on the drivers side head area, now it's from both sides of the motor. I do believe I hear an exhaust leak too when it's colder out, as I heard one last night when I took a ride to McDonalds in ~30 degree temperatures. The valve tick is also louder during those temperature parameters.

Any insight on this noise is very much appreciated to help put me at ease about my motor not blowing up. I don't hear a rod knock, so I don't believe anything catastrophic is going to happen soon. I need this car to last me until Feb 2013 when I graduate from college, so I've been easy on it. I just wanted to see if these noises were out of place and I should be weary about driving the 1400 miles round trip back home for Thanksgiving and soon Christmas.

Thank you very much,
    2002Bugseye

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds top endy. Does it go away when the motor warms up? Is it from the sides and not the front?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I was thinking top end too. It doesn't really get much better for a warm engine.
    I do not believe it to be coming from the front, I'm only guessing you're inferring a possible timing belt tensioner but the previous owner said the timing belt was done at 100k, only 107k on the motor. I'll have a better listen tomorrow after class when the car is warm. The noise seems more prevalent on the sides.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002Bugseye View Post
    I was thinking top end too. It doesn't really get much better for a warm engine.
    That rules out normal piston slap, but then again it sounds like it's top end as we said.

I do not believe it to be coming from the front, I'm only guessing you're inferring a possible timing belt tensioner but the previous owner said the timing belt was done at 100k, only 107k on the motor.
    I was thinking tensioner or roller, yes. Even external pulley on the ancillary belts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Almost sounds like valve tapping to me. Could the brand new timing belt have been installed one tooth off?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I'm not sure Sinister, it runs great, doesn't feel like there's a performance loss of a slipped tooth. I just hear more and more noises every time I start the car and it worries me. I heard one today that sounded like piston slapping but the engine was warm, and I could only hear it in the cabin.

My car I just bought does the exact same thing. It is not as pronounced and you can really only hear it in the cabin. It had the timing belt done at 100k and now has 107k. I've talked to several people and they think it has to do with the valves. I am about ready to just take it to a mechanic and see if they can diagnose the problem.

I was considering the same thing, I just want to not feel like this is going to blow up on a ride home and I'll be stuck in some other state with a dead car.

I know exactly how you feel. I'll be especially mad if mine blows because I just spent quite alot on it. I should have taken it to a shop before buying it but thats kind of hard to do with a private seller.

it sounds like the hydraulic lifters or the valves. make sure you have oil. i see that alot on cars that use synthetic oil and people actually go 7500 miles without ever checking it.

Juan, I have oil, I check it every couple days due to a leaking cam seal so I'm trying to gauge how much I'll be losing in the way home. I thought WRX's had solid lifters, not hydraulic? One of my mechanic friends told me to check for exhaust valve issues by dropping the manifold and looking around the valve seats for cleaner metal. I guess the 2.5's in the Legacy's and Outback's had an issue where the valve guide would walk down and cause the exhaust valve to stay open and get burned.

your right, they are not hydraulic, i dont know why i said that. they are shim type buckets and clearance should be checked (it was just a thought)