Extremely newbie Q: What wrench should I get to change (shop-installed) wheels?

This is a discussion on Extremely newbie Q: What wrench should I get to change (shop-installed) wheels? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, As the title suggests, I need some advice as far as getting tools to change shop-installed wheels. Previously ...

Red face Extremely newbie Q: What wrench should I get to change (shop-installed) wheels?

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I need some advice as far as getting tools to change shop-installed wheels. Previously I tried to change wheels on my own, but those shop-installed wheels are so hard to get off! There are always some lug nuts just won't get off. So I gave up and let the shop did it all these years.

Recently I wanted to start up again, and I'm just wondering: what tools would you recommend to change the wheels?

I did some search on Amazon, and found this. But local stores (Menards, Lowe's) don't seem to have exactly this. So what should I be looking for?

Is this the right stuff that I should be getting?

Sorry for the stupid question... and thanks in advance for all the inputs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That first link would do the trick.

Sent from tapatalk.
    2011 Base WRX

i picked up one of these. after two seasons of changing them by hand i decided to go the powered route. Cordless Impact and Torque Sticks
    2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Tools and Accessories at RallySportDirect.com

If you have aftermarket lug nuts you may need the proper "key".

Also, have you looked for your stock lug nut wrench? That may be where they stored the proper key as well. There is a compartment in the trunk on the left side where your jack is and often times there is a "Subaru" bag in there with your wrench and other random stuff
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Just buy the $5 "drive flex handle". I call those breaker bars. If you can't get them off by hand then they are being over torqued. As far as putting them back on I prefer a torque wrench.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

to all:

First off, many thanks for all your inputs. Super appreciated.

I did know that the car comes with an OEM wrench for the lug nuts. However, it's not long enough to tackle those over-torqued nuts that some shops put on.

The cordless impact wrench sounds fabulous, but it's just a bit too expensive (especially considering that I only need to use it twice per year, at this moment...). So I went out and followed Hoofhearted's advice and got me a regular auto wrench. It's 22 inches, so I'm sure it'll be easier to work with lug nuts now.

Later I'll get a torque wrench to make sure that I don't under or over torque those nuts.

Thanks again to all your inputs!