2011 STI Brakes

This is a discussion on 2011 STI Brakes within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I drive a lot... My '11 STI is 1 year old this month, and I have 26K miles on the ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

2011 STI Brakes

I drive a lot...

My '11 STI is 1 year old this month, and I have 26K miles on the car. Today I noticed the brakes making a very slight grinding noise - I think its getting close to needing new pads. My garage isn't heated, so I really don't want to be changing brakes in the middle of a Vermont winter - so I am thinking sometime in November I would like to take care of this.

My questions are:

1.) The brakes don't pulse, so I am inclined not to buy new rotors. Is this a mistake, or should the rotors be able to make it another 30K miles?

2.) What is a good website to buy pads (that are good) at a good price?

3.) My Dad has a couple of vettes and a trailblazer SS - he made the switch to ceramic pads and loves them. Do those of you who started using ceramic pads like them?

Thanks
    Michael
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1.) I would at least get the rotors turned
    2.) Rallysports direct High Performance Brake Pads at RallySportDirect.com
    3.) Ceramic pads are awesome!!! LESS DUST = wheels stay cleaner longer just be carefull not to order full out race pads because they are load as hell.

Oh yeah they are so easy to change if you are not going to take the rotors off all you have to do is take the wheel off and pull two pins out of the caliper and slide the pads out.

I've never had a set of rotored machined i.e. turned in my life. It isn't necessary unless you have major gouges in the rotors.

I'm looking at ceramic pads too to limit dust, but I tend to run high performance pads since I track my car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    teflon - are you saying you would just buy new rotors, or would you skip it this time since there is no pulsing?

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't do either. First I'd look at your front pads... and see how far down they are. And your rotors shouldn't need to be turned until you get new pads. More than likely you'll need new fronts before you get rears. When I swapped out my last set, my rears had 70% on them.

Don't buy new rotors at 26k miles. You shouldn't need them.

It's easy to measure the pads on your car. Measure them, and report back. In addition... the OEM shims on the back of the inside brake pads have a metal tab. If that tab isn't screeching.. it's more than likely not time for new brake pads.

As far as machining... it's always a good idea to get rotors milled that are matched to your new pads. The only time you should get your rotors machined with old pads is if you get a pulsating feeling. That feeling is NOT warping. Your rotors more than likely won't warp unless you've spent lap after lap after lap on the track. More than likely the pulsating is the formation of deposits from the pads on the rotors. Usually with normal braking, that pulsating goes away, if it doesn't... machining will take it off.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't forget about us! lol

I can set you up on a good deal for some rotors and pads.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

If the rotors look/feel good than I would keep them as is. As far as pads go, I have always been a huge fan of Hawk pads, more specifically the HPS pads that Hawk makes.

If you were going to do anything with the rotors, personally I would just replace them. However at 27k I doubt they are in serious need to be replaced/turned unless you beat the crap out of them with a harsh pad during an Auto-X / Road course event.

Hawk Pads Direct - Discount Hawk Performance Brake Pads I have always used them

+Great bite, extremely low fade
    +Long life
    +Easy on the rotor
    -Lots of dust on your wheels (From my personal experience you will be cleaning your wheels every week)
    -Price (On your car they run 129.58 for the fronts)

I Support ClubWRX
    rotors look great, but brakes "grind" - not squeak. My 07 wrx rotors failed at 10k mikes, which is why I am sensitive. Under warranty, Subaru replaced the rotors once turned them once, and pads twice before 36k.

I don't race/track the car. Just fun driving to work and I almost never have to slam on the brakes.

I will measure the pads this weekend and let you guys know, even though I am excited to out the hawk hps ones on.

Nice. You should be fine then. If you want to do it and get it out of the way now you can get new rotors. If you were going to consider turning them, personally, I would just get new rotors.

I looked around the other day and found rotors for ~$80 a pop shipped on the STI.

I suppose that will give you peace of mind if you are concerned. It certainly is an ideal situation to put new rotors on, however it is the same thing as the folks that change their oil twice as often as the maintenence schedule.

You'll love the bite of the HPS's. I have about the same driver style as you do and it fit me perfectly.