Someone Side-Swiped me in a fit of road rage

This is a discussion on Someone Side-Swiped me in a fit of road rage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving 5 over speed limit in a construction zone that takes your pictures and sends you a ticket ...

Someone Side-Swiped me in a fit of road rage

I was driving 5 over speed limit in a construction zone that takes your pictures and sends you a ticket when you speed. I was in the left lane and this guy behind me begins to tailgate me with his brights on. I know that I'm in the wrong lane for 5 over the limit, but i decided to stay there. So this goes on for like two miles and at any time, the guy could have passed me on the right... but he finally swerves around me on the right and drifts over into my lane and tries to run me into the jersey barrier. He clipped the front of my car with his SUV and the realizes that he is screwed if he doesn't get away from me. He tries to out run me and I easily caught up with him to get his tag# and I call the cops. The cop had to go to his house to get him to come meet with me so that I could get his insurance info.

Long story short, the guy admitted fault but I have some questions and need advice from anyone who has ever had this happen to them.

His insurance co, Progressive, cut me a check after their adjuster assessed the damage to my car at around $1400. If I have the repairs done at their preferred shop, I get lifetime warranty on the paint repair. Is there any benefit to having a Subaru authorized dealer / body / repair shop do these repairs?

My other question: I heard from an old friend who used to be an adjuster that in the state of Maryland that I am entitled to the value of the depreciation of the car due to this minor accident; i believe that this should be the case as after all, my car has now been in "an accident" and the value is less (am i not correct?). The adjuster told me that they don't do this because they will repair the car to perfect condition. I asked the claim rep about this and he said that it is not common practice in MD for this to happen. Any advice here? I want more money and they obviously don't want to pay me more.

Another question: The SUV scraped my headlight housing a little but there is not that much of a gouge in it. The adjuster said that they would buff them out, but that because the gouge is not that deep it will not decrease the strength of the housing. BS? I think I should get new ones, but will I have to argue in court to get this?

I feel like I was wronged here in this entire situation. They should repair the car the way i want it repaired right? I know they insured a road-raging moron who ran into my car, so they should be doing things my way. I am not sure how all this works as this is my first accident that I have ever been involved in.

Any advice is appreciated.

I learned- don't tailgate and also don't be that a hole in the left lane going less than 80mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh yeah- damage done is that it needs a new quarter panel above front passenger wheel, and paint repair on bumper.

No damage was done to the door, so why is it that the adjuster said that they will blend to paint to the door? If I have subaru do it, because I'm assuming that they'll have the black metallic flake color, then why would any blending need to occur?

I Support ClubWRX
    "Blending paint" is exactly that; making the surface finish uniform so as to make the repaired area invisible. Blending is needed so that you visually cant tell where panels were replaced or damage was done. Also blending helps to account for slight variations in paint color mixing, as well as any fading to the base coat caused by UV.

Essentially they will tape off your door jam, scuff the panel at the hard lines, and blow a little base and clear on the door. Industry standard no big deal.

As far as your situation goes:

Look insurance companies are tight asses, they do not WANT to pay you money. One tactic I have taken in the past, is to have my insurance company take care of it and bill their insurance. I have found this tactic to be much less frustrating, as since your insurance company is worried about customer service, and it is not their money, they bend over backwards to make you happy.

I would pick the body shop that you want it repaired at. Do your diligence and research online, yelp, etc. After your car is at the body shop, they can contact the insurance if they find any additional damage, and turn in a "supplement" for additional costs.

I tired to pull the depreciation bit here recently with the adjuster when my car was hit by some metal on the freeway, and their stance is that "When properly repaired, there is no difference between your car and one that has not been hit." I said "oh yeah go run a car fax/KBB/NADA on 2 cars; 1 with an accident history and 1 without. Then go try to trade them in and see what happens." He played stoopid. So good luck with that.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Involve your insurance company and let them handle this. This is why you pay for insurance, not just to pay you in case something is your fault.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    Look insurance companies are tight asses, they do not WANT to pay you money. One tactic I have taken in the past, is to have my insurance company take care of it and bill their insurance. I have found this tactic to be much less frustrating, as since your insurance company is worried about customer service, and it is not their money, they bend over backwards to make you happy.
    This. Also, demand OE parts, don't settle for aftermarket crap they may try to push on you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-26-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC