Starting up engine after no use
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Starting up engine after no use within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey I have a 1999 sti RA. Its a little tricked out with a few mods (ecu, intercooler etc) have ...

Starting up engine after no use

Hey I have a 1999 sti RA. Its a little tricked out with a few mods (ecu, intercooler etc) have had it in storage for over a year now due to my situation. Am now wanting to get it back on the road. I am a little nervous in starting the thing as im sure the seals (etc) have become a bit stiff and un-lubricated. Any tips or advice on the procedure for doing a safe start up? Maybe an additive to the oil - I don't know but if anyone has any ideas do tell...

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brods123 View Post
    Hey I have a 1999 sti RA.
    DO WANT!!!

On topic, any gas in the tank will have gone bad unless you added stabilizer. I would siphon what you can out and get fresh in there, perhaps others could suggest a fuel additive, if necessary. Personally, I would also change the oil too. Check the battery too, since that's probably dead by now.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    See that the battery is OK.

Check all the fluids. I'd change the oil.

You can remove the plugs, and squirt a bit of oil into each cyl, or not; my choice in the past has been "not" but you only lose time and effort, and will generate a lot of smoke upon startup but that just adds to the fun and it won't hurt. You can even do this overnight and let it sit (on a flat motor, gravity is not helping you though; on a vee or upright inline this soaking would make more sense to me at least conceptually).

I like to pull the ignition fuse and crank the motor. This will build up oil pressure and such without actually starting the motor, and at very low rpm. If you are extremely cautious, you can even turn over the motor manually first, using a spanner or breaker bar plus extension on the crank bolt. I use the starter instead, giving it a few jabs cautiously.

After that, I just go for it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    DO WANT!!!

On topic, any gas in the tank will have gone bad unless you added stabilizer. I would siphon what you can out and get fresh in there, perhaps others could suggest a fuel additive, if necessary. Personally, I would also change the oil too. Check the battery too, since that's probably dead by now.

Haha cheers mate...you'll have to catch a plane over to New Zealand for that. Cheers for the advice...appreciate it.

Not quite on topic.. But pictures?!?!?!
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Dont have any current pics but ill get some up.....

I wouldn't really worry about anything with starting it. Just crank it and go. The gas is probably still ok after a year even if you didn't treat it, but it might not run as well as with a fresh tank. You'll definitely want to change the oil and check all the fluids, tire pressure, etc. If you didn't put it on jack stands, there's a good chance the tires have flat spotted and you might hear a rhythmic thump at each revolution. It's tough to say since you didn't post where you're from.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Cheers bud....from Christchurch NZ. The roads here are a bit crap due to the massive earthquake we had here 6months ago. Yeah I prob will drain the gas just in case and replace the batty because that'll be shagged...trying to pre-empt any other problems that may arise.
    99 V6 WRX sti RA
    97 R33 GTR

Cheers mate good luck with it. And definitely post some photos when you get a chance!

If you didn't use a battery trickle charger then yeah it'll probably be done for.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I hope that everything goes well after the oil change and checking fluid levels and tire pressures etc, my 22B sat there at Armstrongs in Christchurch for over a year before I went and picked it up and it definately did not run well after it initially started up but cleared up within a minute.... Have to say I was a little concerned but everything was fine. I hope you are able to keep it somewhere safe, mine is no longer in Christchurch which I am glad for because of all the earthquakes.

Yeah it should be interesting hopefully it goes without a hitch. And yeah it can be a bit worrying at times when a big aftershock hits and you dont know if your gonna arrive home to a pile of rubble in your garage but thats life i guess. Geez those 22B's go good, havn't seen many round here (actually havn't seen a lot of anything since feb haha)
    99 V6 WRX sti RA
    97 R33 GTR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.