Mysterious Drip Trail
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mysterious Drip Trail within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; There was a trail of a mysterious fluid dripping from my car today (09 wrx). It was dripping enough that ...

Mysterious Drip Trail

There was a trail of a mysterious fluid dripping from my car today (09 wrx). It was dripping enough that turning into my driveway it was like a half solid line. When I looked under the car, i didnt see anything dripping, but the bottom the the transmission looked wet (the end towards the front of the car). I wiped it with a paper towel and it looked almost yellow/greenish in color...

Guesses?

In addition, occasionally while driving with the windows down I smelled a burning type smell...but it didnt always happen, so I just assumed it was a POS in front of me...
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yellow/Greenish sounds like coolant. Did you smell anything specific? Hot antifreeze smells like maple syrup. Make sure the car is completely cool, and then check your coolant levels. Unfortunately, from your description, it could be hard to isolate the leak, but start my checking the health of all of your coolant hoses.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    The OP's coolant is blue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1,sounds like coolant.bluish green to be precise.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah. The issue sounded identical to a leaking coolant hose on my 03. My coolant was yellow, but I know there are some manufacturers that sell identical coolants with different dyes so you can tell when the system is full of the new stuff after flushing. The newer WRXs probably have a different flavor. Leaking coolant also follows with the slight burning smell the OP described.
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    The newer OE coolant is blue and smells sharper than the older green, but I suppose you're right, it could be coolant. Nothing else in the car is nearly that colour, except maybe windshield washer fluid. The OP needs to look carefully for coolant.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Where would one go about starting his search for leaky coolant
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

The first thing to do is to clean things under the hood really well. Then look for where the fluid reappears and trace it back to the source. If something is leaking as much as you indicate, it's probably spread all over so isolating it without cleaning first can be nearly impossible.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The first thing to do is to clean things under the hood really well. Then look for where the fluid reappears and trace it back to the source. If something is leaking as much as you indicate, it's probably spread all over so isolating it without cleaning first can be nearly impossible.
    Not to sound like Im trying to take the lazy way out...but still being under warranty, would it be best to take it in the the dealership?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Not to sound like Im trying to take the lazy way out...but still being under warranty, would it be best to take it in the the dealership?
    Definitely. Didn't know you had a warranty! This it not your problem. This is the dealer's problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, this is a dealer issue. Take it in pronto. That being said, if you really are bleeding coolant, I would advise having it towed, or at the bare minimum, top off your coolant system with water and stay in very low revs (no boost). Call the dealer, explain the problem, and follow their recommendations for getting it in. No need to damage other components just trying to make the trip to the shop, even if everything is under warranty.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I checked after backing down my driveway and after my commute into work. There was no "new" spot that I noticed on the driveway, only what was there yesterday. After getting into work (more than enough time to heat engine fully) I looked down the parking lot looking for my "trail" and I didnt see anything. I looked under the car, no drip, but a tiny bit of fluid on the bottom of the tranny again (same spot). Could this be that I am out of coolant? If so, wouldn't the engine temp gauge go up (it was the same as normal)?

edit: I just looked under my car, and there is a very small spot, maybe 2 inches across, from dripping. I shall call to the 'ship
    Last edited by spirited09wrx; 10-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

I Support ClubWRX
    It's possible it is empty, but you definitely would have noticed. Did you check the coolant levels? Also look at the washer fluid reservior as SD_GR suggested; it's the only other thing that could be close to that color.

For everyone else, power steering fluid is pinkish, correct? Brake fluid is clear, so it's got to be either coolant or possibly the washer fluid. Obviously, the washer fluid is the far lesser of two evils...
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I just called the 'ship. Besides mentioning that their booking currently for Nov. 5th, they mentioned an evaporation drain hose nearby? Maybe theres just a lot of other colored grime on the bottom of the car? I looked at the coolant tank, and it looked low. Im going to grab a jug right after I leave work (1 block away). How much can I expect the level to go down by the time I get home, assuming there is NO leak (if I refill the tank, would it "settle" if there was no leak?)?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

I Support ClubWRX
    The evaporation drain is for the A/C, meaning it will be active if either the climate control or the front defroster is on. It will expel clear water though, and it exits near the firewall, not the nose.

If there is no leak the fluctuation in coolant level should be minimal.

Keep an eye on it. If you have a leak and are under warranty, the date they are currently booking at the dealer should be a moot point. They should receive your car on flatbed and hand you the keys to a rental or loaner in an ideal world.

I don't live in an ideal world though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.