Mysterious Drip Trail - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mysterious Drip Trail within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by spirited09wrx Ok, and any standard auto store will have 75w-90? does synthetic vs no synthetic matter, especially ...

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Ok, and any standard auto store will have 75w-90? does synthetic vs no synthetic matter, especially due to leaking?
    Yes they should. As for synthetic or not its all up to you. Though I believe that the factory fill isn't even synthetic for our cars. Ohh... btw make sure it's GL-5 Gear oil that's the only requirement.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Yes they should. As for synthetic or not its all up to you. Though I believe that the factory fill isn't even synthetic for our cars. Ohh btw make sure it's GL-5.
    will do (assuming all that is on the bottle) The manual only listed the GL-5 thing, it didnt even mention the 75w-90. I thought i was going crazy
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Assuming my transmission fluid is very low, how many quarts should I get to fill er up?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Assuming my transmission fluid is very low, how many quarts should I get to fill er up?
    The owner's manual has the capacity in there. I believe it was around 5 quarts for my bugeye. I'd have to check again.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Jesus dude what a mess...I was gonna say that definitely looks like tranny fluid. Looks thicker and more viscous than other fluids (coolant in particular)...

I have 5 to 1 odds on cracked casing...any takers?
    yeah minor crack in casing or a bad input shaft seal. Either way if they were recently in there they should have seen/found this.

Any GL5 approved lubricant should work.. check your owners manual but I'm pretty sure the weight is 75-90 range. Can get that stuff at any autozone. Also, make sure you put a towel or rag over the top of the turbo when you go to fill this stuff. Its thick so if you get any on the turbo you'll be smelling it burning off for days.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Transmission oil (MT) 5-speed 3.7 US qt (3.5 liters, 3.1 Imp qt).

Even though I am just looking for something to top me off currently, and it will probably leak out anyway, what are some brands to stay away from and some to look at. Obviously not too expensive bc of my last sentence.
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

I Support ClubWRX
    When the dealer did mine, I asked them about putting Extra-S in it, and they told me while they didn't carry Extra-S, they said SOA does have an approved variety of Redline that they use on the older WRXs. Could be total BS, so tread with caution, but they've never given me a bum steer yet on maintenance advice, they guaranteed their work on my car, and it was a big improvement in shifting once I got the car back. Something to consider once this all gets sorted out.

I would think for now, most anything GL-5 would be ok, since it's very temporary.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I put in one qt and its dripping every 5 seconds or so...after like 5 min I had a 2-3 inch puddle. It appears to be leaking from (please excuse my ignorance) the pivoting arm that appears to connect to the right wheel and running down to the drip point
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    When did you get your clutch replaced? I'm thinking they broke the axle seals when they pulled the axles to replace your clutch.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-26-2011 at 03:11 PM.

When did you get your clutch replaced? I'm thinking they broke the axle seals when they pulled the axles to replace your clutch.
    I believe it was the week before last
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    I see... What a pain. So they can't see your car until the 8th of November? I would just drop the car off at the dealership and rent a car until they fix the car(maybe SOA warranty can reimburse your rental) than having to worry about that leak. It seems like its leaking fast enough to be a major issue.

I see... What a pain. So they can't see your car until the 8th of November? I would just drop the car off at the dealership and rent a car until they fix the car(maybe SOA warranty can reimburse your rental) than having to worry about that leak. It seems like its leaking fast enough to be a major issue.
    Problem is that I can't rent a car until February (not 25 yet). They told me that if it was more that a couple drops that they would have to figure something out more immediately. I called them at 530 on the dot (when their service dept closes) and had to leave a message, I shall call back tomorrow morning. I have the empty transmission fluid bottle underneath the leak for the evening...can I re-use this fluid in the AM?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    You can reuse it as long as the transmission case is clean so that the oil cleanly flows to the bottle. Otherwise I would not pour it back into the transmission if the oil has been contaminated with dirt. I see this as a pretty urgent problem.

I had to take my car in after I realized that my rear diff case looked like it was leaking oil two months ago. It wasn't a fast leak just that the outside of the case had dirt all over it because of the oil seepage. I walked into the dealership, they took the car in without appointment and I was off in 45mins. They told me that the factory forgot to torque my rear diff drain plug.

You can reuse it as long as the transmission case is clean so that the oil cleanly flows to the bottle. Otherwise I would not pour it back into the transmission if the oil has been contaminated with dirt. I see this as a pretty urgent problem.

I had to take my car in after I realized that my rear diff case looked like it was leaking oil two months ago. It wasn't a fast leak just that the outside of the case had dirt all over it because of the oil seepage. I walked into the dealership, they took the car in without appointment and I was off in 45mins. They told me that the factory forgot to torque my rear diff drain plug.
    ok, so i guess the answer is no lol...

Im going to fill up with the other bottle tomorrow before leaving for work, and call them as soon as they open/tell them I need to bring it in immediately...Im going to need a loner if it has to stay overnight, unless i can get it there during lunch time and they give me a car to drive back and forth.

is that what those rubber covered flex arms are? Axel seals at the transmission? I like going into the service dept knowing what im talking about...or at least pretending
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    Yeah I would ask for a loner. The car is under warranty and this problem has become a great inconvenience for you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast