Mysterious Drip Trail - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mysterious Drip Trail within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah it does look bluish... So it looks like a coolant leak. Windshield washer fluid can't be that dark so ...

KHP
    Yeah it does look bluish... So it looks like a coolant leak. Windshield washer fluid can't be that dark so you can rule that out. You should let the dealership take a look. You said they're booked till the 5th of next month? I would set up an appointment now and avoid driving the car hard and avoid unnecessary trips .
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Check trans fluid level? .. where that's wet makes me wonder if its trans fluid. Its the right color.. what does the drip smell like? If its watery and sweet smelling its coolant... if its kinda thick/oily, it might be gear oil and will have a very pungent odor
    My cars gear oil is clear and has very distinct smell(from the dipstick).

Is the car automatic? I know ATF fluid comes in variety of colors, but I'm most familiar with red Dextron III fluid.

almost all of the gl5 I've ever come across has a grey/green hue to it.. and smells pretty gross.. sticks in your nostrils and if you get it on ya it stays all day.

yours is clear? .. that's odd. Factory fluid? I just had my 60k done and it is very definitely grey/green in color and smells like butt. lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    almost all of the gl5 I've ever come across has a grey/green hue to it.. and smells pretty gross.. sticks in your nostrils and if you get it on ya it stays all day.

yours is clear? .. that's odd. Factory fluid? I just had my 60k done and it is very definitely grey/green in color and smells like butt. lol
    Yeah mine is still factory(and most probably Dino Oil). I'm waiting till maybe ~30,000 Miles before changing it out to a GL-5 synthetic. I'm thinking Extra S 75w-90. Too far to think since that's 19,000 miles away. You're correct when I mean "distinct" it does smell like butt.

To spirited09wrx:
    Do as mangostick suggested. Check your gear oil level. If its low (hopefully not empty ) I would be weary driving your car. You can end up shredding your tranny.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-25-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Ok, so i looked online and the tranny dipstick is like right behind the turbo, correct? Could this have something to do with them recently replacing my clutch?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Ok, so i looked online and the tranny dipstick is like right behind the turbo, correct? Could this have something to do with them recently replacing my clutch?
    Yes the dipstick is behind the turbo.

Usually it isn't necessary to mess with the transmission oil drain plug or case bolts. They should just undo the bell housing bolts to separate the transmission from the engine to replace the clutch.

Since you've pointed out that they have worked in the close region of the leak. I would not doubt that they might have caused this issue from some unknown reason. Maybe the tech undid the wrong bolt and forgot to re-torque it back to spec.

Checked the dipstick...it appears to be both the same fluid in question and basically empty...the car still shifts correctly. I called the dealer with the emergency, had to leave a message...I need to go to work...ugh, we'll see how this plays out...
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

Called the 'ship again. I have an appt on 11/8 (ugh) and they told me to go top off with tranny fluid in the mean time (suggestions on fluid).

Also, something a co-worker brought up. As mentioned before my coolant level was very low, and I filled it with what I could get from the gas station. Will this cause issues in my car? They had a situation with "coolant not approved by Mazda" in her mazda3 which "screwed up her thermostat." Any concern here?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Jesus dude what a mess...I was gonna say that definitely looks like tranny fluid. Looks thicker and more viscous than other fluids (coolant in particular)...

I have 5 to 1 odds on cracked casing...any takers?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Jesus dude what a mess...I was gonna say that definitely looks like tranny fluid. Looks thicker and more viscous than other fluids (coolant in particular)...

I have 5 to 1 odds on cracked casing...any takers?
    What exactly is a cracked casing? Something I could have done? Something the could have happened from driving on torn up highway (I noticed it after a work trip that involved a stretch of highway being torn up and lots of gravel.)
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    Also, something a co-worker brought up. As mentioned before my coolant level was very low, and I filled it with what I could get from the gas station. Will this cause issues in my car? They had a situation with "coolant not approved by Mazda" in her mazda3 which "screwed up her thermostat." Any concern here?
    I wouldn't worry to much about the cooling system. Though you have now contaminated it with aftermarket coolant. You'll have to change the coolant at a shorter interval. 30,000 miles from when it's contaminated if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-26-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Ok, thats fine...I see "Extra-S" as being a good transmission fluid to use. Correct? Can I get this at a pepboys/autozone? I need "any 75w90 (synthetic preferred)", correct?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

What exactly is a cracked casing? Something I could have done? Something the could have happened from driving on torn up highway (I noticed it after a work trip that involved a stretch of highway being torn up and lots of gravel.)
    I mean this is just a shot in the dark...but a cracked transmission casing. If some rock or huge something or rather hit it, it could crack. Highly unlikely though...you'd really have to plow into something. It very well could be some kind of busted seal, or issue with the fill neck, or drain plug...dunno. Once a tech is under it with a flashlight to see it, then it will be easy to figure out.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

KHP
    Ok, thats fine...I see "Extra-S" as being a good transmission fluid to use. Correct? Can I get this at a pepboys/autozone? I need "any 75w90 (synthetic preferred)", correct?
    Actually Subaru Extra-S is hard to come by. Even my local dealer has to get it special ordered. Extra-S is the STi transmission and diff gear oil. STi's are a rare occurrence here. Factory fill for all turbo non STi cars from Subaru is just any Dino 75w-90 gear oil. I would just stick with any known brand 75W-90 gear oil you can get from Autozone until you get your leak resolved. Extra-S is quite expensive to just have leaking around.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Actually Subaru Extra-S is hard to come by. Even my local dealer has to get it special ordered. Extra-S is the STi transmission and diff gear oil. STi's are a rare occurrence here. Factory fill for all turbo non STi cars from Subaru is just any Dino 75w-90 gear oil. I would just stick with any branded 75W-90 gear oil you can get from Autozone until you get your leak resolved. Extra-S is quite expensive to just have leaking around.
    Ok, and any standard auto store will have 75w-90? does synthetic vs no synthetic matter, especially due to leaking?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast